Honored Contributor

Finding a long, heavy tree limb on our front lawn

I went for a walk this morning.  Instead of going out via the front walk, I went across the drive way.  Coming back, I decided to go the walk way.  Blocking the drive way, was huge long, heavy tree limb.  I have no idea how it got there.  There aren't any trees on that side of the lawn.  We have fir trees out front. This was from a leaf tree. I dragged it under my fir tree to cut up.  Now we (my husband) will have cut the tree limb up.  Several days before, we got very heavy rain and gale winds.  This tree limb must have come from that.  We have a full acre.  I dont' know how it got on my property.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Finding a long, heavy tree limb on our front lawn

@songbird   Don't know where your acre is, but I don't believe it's all that uncommon for weakened tree limbs to sail distances in a gale wind especially before they lose their leaves.

Honored Contributor

Good thing it didn't do any damage like hit a car or a house. One of my trees lost a big limb in a wind storm and landed on my fence, caused it to collapse and part of my neighbors' belongings got ruined from it. All the damages plus having to get rid of that limb cost me quite a bit of time and money plus I had no fence on that part of my yard. I had to keep an eye on my dog and my neighbors' dogs, too, until I got the fence fixed.

Esteemed Contributor

We had strong winds a few weeks ago, and a dead ash (30', I would guess) broke halfway.  The ash borer has been a problem, and I had hopes the tree would just crumble, but at least it didn't hit anything

We have dragged the majority of it into the woods, cut up the smaller stuff, and now there is a totem pole.  The birds love it.

It is amazing where these things end up, and the velocity with which they hit the ground.  Boom!  Especially with leaves - the branch "sails".

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@songbird Maybe it fell off a passing truck or trailer, then someone got it out of the road and put it on your property? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   That's what I think.  We have the most trees (all Fir trees) and we are always picking up limbs after a storm.  I think someone just shoved it over for us to cut up.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Sooner   That's what I think.  We have the most trees (all Fir trees) and we are always picking up limbs after a storm.  I think someone just shoved it over for us to cut up.

@songbird I suspect maybe they just had to drag it out of the road.  We've had terrible ice storms, hail and all sorts of storms last year, and it's not been unusual to find limbs in the road and you just drag them out of the way.