Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Oh gosh, @GenXmuse .  That's terrible news, and I'm sure that even with the best of intentions, nothing will salve the wound.  I hope you keep posting so that at least this community can give you a place to talk.

Thank you for your encouragement! I'll keep on keeping on here with you all-it's a nice distraction.🙏

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom 

Fee based.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse , I am sorry to hear this news.  Please allow me to give you some big (((hugs))).

Honored Contributor

@Vivian I've followed what you have been through and it is so sad. I guess all you can do is cherish the good memories and be grateful that you and your mom planned for the future. Unfortunately, it's not the future you had hoped for. That scares me too.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1 wrote:

@GenXmuse , I am sorry to hear this news.  Please allow me to give you some big (((hugs))).

Bring it in! Thank you so much. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Sounds like a perfect fit.  The fact that they get involved in all 

Aspects is ideal.  I am confused on difference between financial advisor and financial planner.  You said yours an advisor and I believe ours is too.  They have had people to send us tio but not really connected or involved.  So the service appears lacking .  They were recently merged with a large local entity.  I am trying to stay positive but I am still so let down by mankind.  Thanks for sharing.  Your planners rating done by......?

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom 

These are the credentials of our advisor:   Certified Financial Planner, Accredited portfolio manager, Private Wealth Advisor

Forbes, Financial Times, Ameriprise Hall of fame...these are a couple of the organizations that rated our advisor (he owns the firm).

Maybe in your state you can search to see who is in the top 100 advisors..that will give you a start.

The person we meet with to adjust what we invest in is not the same person we meet with to go over our budget, and spending needs.  

Since we are retirement age (but still working). our investing is 50/50.  I wanted to be a bit risky for a short term, but since the government economic indicators were all down (our meeting was Feb. 2023) he suggested staying at 50/50.  IF the economy turns around we will look at changing the percentage at that time.

I hope you can find someone you feel comfortable with.

Esteemed Contributor

Hearing  Tomorrow may be a sell off day on the markets due to SVB  debacle

Been through some market down turns , but it usually takes abt 10 yrs for an upswing . We had the biggest Bull market going for may yrs .

Honored Contributor

My concern is that there will be a run on banks in response to the news from California.

My 401k is in the stock market, so I've lost lots as well, on paper. It won't be an actual loss unless I cash out. I didn't in 2008 and I'm staying the course now. 

Esteemed Contributor

And just like that, Signature Bank in NY was just taken over by the FDIC late today, Sunday.

You don't need to stand in line to withdraw funds. Many banks allow you to do this electronically from home.