Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

My father was retired from a management position at PanAmerican when they went bankrupt.  Other family members also worked for the airline.

Perhaps unionized workers got their pensions ... my father lost his.  Fortunately my parents had savings and social security. 

-------------------------------------

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

Is anyone else worried about what th future holds? I keep watching my IRA  losing money and the company I retired from after 45 years is losing ground and I worry about what will happen with  my pension.  I'm too old now to make any of it back. I saved and saved for all this and now it's disappearing.

@catter70     If you are retired, your pension should be safe no matter what happens to the company you get it from.  Kind of like a bank.

@ALRATIBA  I also worked for Pan Am for almost twenty years. Actually till they went out of business. We were in a union and barely got a pension as the Teamsters absconded with it. 

PanAm went bust 15 years before the Pension Protection Act.  There's federal legislation protecting pension benefits now.

@RollTide2008  Thanks, I know, but it didn’t help me.

Honored Contributor

All ours is in secure accounts now. No more messing with the stock market crashes especially today.

Lots of people worried about their Pensions plus SS.

Don't know how they expect people to plan for the future when they did plan for it with their Pensions plus SS but now they may be taken away??? Nobody knows what the future will bring.  

Esteemed Contributor
@catter70 wrote:

Is anyone else worried about what th future holds? I keep watching my IRA  losing money and the company I retired from after 45 years is losing ground and I worry about what will happen with  my pension.  I'm too old now to make any of it back. I saved and saved for all this and now it's disappearing.

@catter70 

"Worried about what the future holds"?

I have stated on this, and many other forums, how I have lived my life. I saw this saying from Boris Pasternak before I was old enough to drive.

"Man is born to live, not to prepare for life"

My mother did not approve and thought as I got older I would change. I have lived my life for the present, not looking back at the past, or looking ahead to the future.

I still look at life exactly the same. The present is right now. What has been, or might be? Only a few things I could possibly control concerning the future. Right now, waking up tomorrow is good enough for me.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

@catter70     If you are retired, your pension should be safe no matter what happens to the company you get it from.  Kind of like a bank.

Not exactly. Read the rules of the PBG Agency. They step in if your former employer goes bust, becomes insolvent and files CH11

Respected Contributor

I weathered the 2008 crash, and made back all the money I lost and more. I'll get through the current downturn.
I don't check my IRA every day, that's why I pay a financial advisor.

I do check my monthly statements. 

Honored Contributor

Lately I've been worried every day because my husband lost his job this week. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Lately I've been worried ever day because my husband lost his job this week. 

I am so sorry @GenXmuse . I pray he finds something very soon.💕

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I am so sorry @GenXmuse . I pray he finds something very soon.💕

Thank you, Trinity. You are a sweetie. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

((( @GenXmuse ))) 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

((( @GenXmuse ))) 

Thank you for the hugs ❤️