Respected Contributor

Finally got my mammogram...no face shield...

When I called to schedule my mammo at the imaging center where I always go, I asked about how they were handling the virus....She said the tech wore mask and face shield and told all the precautions taken.  I got there and place was crowded and chairs were spaced out but you could not get checked in and be 6 feet from anyone.  When I first go there the person checking temps was getting coffee some went in without the check.  She had on a mask but pulled below her nose.  The tech only wore a mask to do my mammo. with no face shield.  I had on a mask but I felt very vunerable being that close to her face.  If I had not put this off so long already I would have just left and not done test and called the hospital administrator.   This was in Florida the second worst state for the virus.

Honored Contributor

Re: Finally got my mammogram...no face shield...

did you say something

to anyone there

Trusted Contributor

This is very disappointing to hear, especially if the imaging center is in a hospital.  I will say that if you took all the precautions -- face mask, distancing as much as possible, and hand sanitizing -- I think you will be ok.  And they were wearing masks.  But even after the pandemic, I would find another imaging center and never go there again.  They are not professionals.  

Regular Contributor

I would have left immediately. If they're not following basic precautions right from the minute you walk in the door, who knows how well they're cleaning the machines between patients.   That was a high risk experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been to several different doctors and a hospital (for my mom) in central FL and they all have been extremely cautious about the virus. If the tech and you both had a mask on, I think it highly unlikely the virus would pass through.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I had a mammogram recently and felt very comfortable especially with the closeness of the tech and myself. However I went to the doctor this week and they do not wear masks nor are patients required to. They do take your temperature when you enter the office. I don't  know about any special cleaning in between appointments. My dentist and eye doctors all follow all the protocols for masking and cleaning. If you ask prior to your appointment  they will note that you want the doctor to wear a mask. I always wear a mask and will continue to. I don't think taking a perons's temperature is adequate in determining if someone has covid. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

When I called to schedule my mammo at the imaging center where I always go, I asked about how they were handling the virus....She said the tech wore mask and face shield and told all the precautions taken.  I got there and place was crowded and chairs were spaced out but you could not get checked in and be 6 feet from anyone.  When I first go there the person checking temps was getting coffee some went in without the check.  She had on a mask but pulled below her nose.  The tech only wore a mask to do my mammo. with no face shield.  I had on a mask but I felt very vunerable being that close to her face.  If I had not put this off so long already I would have just left and not done test and called the hospital administrator.   This was in Florida the second worst state for the virus.

@chiclet  I am sorry to hear this was your experience for your mammo in Florida.  I have to think this was an isolated incident (facility).  I agreee, that I think you will be okay.  If you are worried, you could always call your doctor, report the incident and ask for a Covid test.  If it would put your mind at ease, you should do it.  It isn't worth worrying over it.

Since April, my husband went to 3 different dentists several times, to the eye doctor, and the walk in 3 times in Florida.  Every time the personal were gowned up, masked up, with face shields.  

Like I said, I think this was an isolated case.  Please let your doctor know.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A face shield protects the wearer.

A mask helps protect others (and you).

If the tech was wearing a shield without a mask, then I would be concerned.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 but that should have been your first hint to turn around and leave.  Unless it was for something other than a routine check it could have waited.

Respected Contributor

My mamo was Tuesday at the hospital imaging center, and 

there were very few people there. Everyone was masked. The only time I felt uncomfortable was when I had to hold my breath during part of the imaging. Wearing a mask and having to hold my breath was harder. I feel like I'm suffocating sometimes while mask wearing.😷