Respected Contributor

Re: Fill up your gas tank now before the storm

I noticed gas prices have been rising all week.  I wsa out earlier and noticed they're hovering around $2.50.  I attributed that to being so close to Labor Day.

We have to get our girls to school Labor Day weekend.  Two trips with two cars - that's going to be a lot of gas.  Ugh...

Respected Contributor

Oh that's what's going on - went by gas station today and there were lines - I was confused - don't listen much to news anymore.  I'll take my chances and wait until the "panic" is over.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm in the metro DC area and just filled up my tank on my way home from some errands.  I paid $2.29/gal.  The BP station across the street has already raised their price to $2.45/gal.  Not sure if that's storm-related or something else peculiar to that particular station.

Same here @Krimpette I filled my tank after work and paid $2.29 (Alexandria), and there was a line!  

Honored Contributor

I just can't get all bent over a dime a gallon increase.

I remember the daily angst threads when prices were over $4.00 and people were beside themselves with keeping track  of the daily fluctuations of a dime here and a dime there.

Then prices went down and not a peep.

Honored Contributor

Gasoline is a commodity, price is based on the market.    True price gouging is illegal but when stocks (inventory) go down and demand goes up, the price will naturally rise.  When the reverse occurs, price goes down.

Now when a state declares a "state of emergency" there is a price ceiling and the price can't go higher than that ceiling, which is based on market plus a modest increase.

Every state is different.

The refineries in the Gulf supply gas to the eastern half of the country.   So while the sun maybe shining in New Jersey, they may experience a temporary gas shortage.

Respected Contributor

I am in the path of the storm (cone, not direct hit).  Took a while to find gas just now.  Most stations are sold out in my area.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in MA, I'm safe from any storm related price gouging.

Honored Contributor

The price increase doesn't really bother me. It's the possibility of shortages/outages that does. 

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there were refinery issues to our west last year and, in metro Atlanta, we had no gas. It was just about impossible to find any. I'd rather not go through that again. And so, I filled up today. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Living as I do in the state that sticks way out into the Atlantic, as part of my preparation I fill both cars and the generator.

It would take both of our vehicles to evacuate our furry family.

Without power for 13 days after Fran!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Gasoline is a commodity, price is based on the market.    True price gouging is illegal but when stocks (inventory) go down and demand goes up, the price will naturally rise.  When the reverse occurs, price goes down.

Now when a state declares a "state of emergency" there is a price ceiling and the price can't go higher than that ceiling, which is based on market plus a modest increase.

Every state is different.

The refineries in the Gulf supply gas to the eastern half of the country.   So while the sun maybe shining in New Jersey, they may experience a temporary gas shortage.

Good explanation! Thanks for the info.