Respected Contributor

Re: Fill up your gas tank now before the storm

I live just North of New Orleans, and we filled up all our cars this morning. Not so much worried about the prices jumping here, but with all the power trucks coming in from around the country to the Texas coast, the gas will be needed for their use, so supplies can become short. We also filled our gas cans. Not necessary, but we had empty gas cans and needed some for grass cutting, etc. At this time, there are power trucks parked in some of our shopping center lotswaiting to head into Texas.

Honored Contributor

One tank is not going to make an iota of difference if the refineries are damaged. It's going to be a longer term issue than one measly tank of gas. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Can see prices now quadrupleing overnight. I am in mid Atlantic region and all our gas supplies come out of texas. Anytime there is a storm. Gas prices go sky high. Wouldn't be surprised at $5.00 a gallon by next week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923 wrote:

Can see prices now quadrupleing overnight. I am in mid Atlantic region and all our gas supplies come out of texas. Anytime there is a storm. Gas prices go sky high. Wouldn't be surprised at $5.00 a gallon by next week.

I'm in the mid Atlantic for the summer and prices actually went down from $2.37 to $2.34 today (Sunoco on the AC Xpressway).

We also get gas from Louisiana and Mississippi, not just TX.  Plus the refineries along the east coast.  

But it is all about supply and demand.  So when people fill up all over the country in a panic because of Harvey....

Scary storm out there, hope those who needed to evacuate--heeded the warning.

Valued Contributor

Southern California here.  Saw a rise in some gas stations but filled up at Arco for $2.75 a gal.which is about what it's been.

Respected Contributor

If the refineries are hit, add #2 fuel oil to the list of affected products. It's $1.62/gal right now on the commodities list with a futures price of $55 a barrel. I'm going to keep a sharp eye on how much it rises. Want to top off my tank before the winter season starts in October.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Question:

When we have bad storms, etc, invariably you'll hear of stories where

retailers are upcharging their merchandise...enough where the Public

cries 'price gouging!'   When the gas prices go up...it's ok.

Why is gas ok, but other items aren't?

(TIA)

@sidsmom  Because when a bottle of water goes from $1.19 to $5.00 or a loaf of bread goes from $2.99 to $10.00-that is just greed on the part of the merchant.

Unless the refineries are destroyed completely the prices so far are estimated to increase by .15 cents/gallon and will drop once production begins again.

I don't mind the .05cents increase we paid for gas the other day but I sure as shoot wouldn't like to be charged double or triple or more for food/water. 

And did you ever notice that when it does go up 10 or 15 cents overnight or in a day, it takes weeks to drop back down again, not overnight...

Respected Contributor

I'm in the mid atlantic too, in MD, and have not seen gas prices "quadrupling" overnight or any other night.  I paid 2.15 yesterday for gas.  So far, they haven't gone up in price and if they do I thank goodness I keep purchasing hybrids.  My 2017 Hybrid Camry averages 45 miles to the gallon.  I would never go back to an all gas powered vehicle.  

Honored Contributor

dh filled up both cars. i live in mid atlantic area. we get all our fuel from that area of texas. so you know prices will sky rocket till supply will once again be flowing our way.

dh paid $2.15 a gallon this morn which is cheap for us. I bet gas will rise to close to $3.00 a gallon when everything is assessed in texas and lines can be brought back up to get fuel flowing again.

Honored Contributor

I just got gas over the bridge from where I live and it was $2.19 a gallon, I haven't seen a change yet either. But gas is always higher once you cross the bridge because of tourist season so that price is starting at 2.39 a gallon. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson