Respected Contributor

Re: Figuring out how old you are.

My Grandad died when I was only 12, but he was a pretty cool old Polish guy.  I still remember his words to me......"You get old too soon and smart too late."  He sure was right about that one!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

My husband always thinks he's a year older than he is.  I have to quickly correct him because then he's making me a year older, too!

Honored Contributor

My birthday is also in the fall and, when I read this, I had to think for second - what if I have it wrong.   Yikes!   Unfortunately, I didn't.  I will turn 62 this fall and I seriously STILL can't even get with being 60!   It's just like some kind of Twilight Zone thing for me.

My husband always seems to claim his age at what he will be next birthday.  It's not like he doesn't know his age or mis-states it for a purpose.  But, for example, as soon as he turned 59 he was calling himself 60 and etc.  I don't get it, but I guess it's how his brain works.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When my cousin was around 80 and very ill with Parkinsons and other problems he would say all the time"If I'd have known I would live to be this old I would have taken better care of myself".

Honored Contributor

I figure I'm old enough to count only those birthdays divisable by 5.  This is one of those years. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

For several years now I have had to stop and work it out in my head and most of the time I thought I was a year older than I am when I do the actual math.  I just felt like it was a good thing since apparently I am not bothered by how old I am getting. 

Still after all these decades I do wish my bra size was larger, that still bothers me as much at 54 as the way it did at 16.  Getting old no problem.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I completely missed a year.  I think it was either 55 or 56.  I thought we were celebrating one birthday when DD informed me we were celebrating another.  I tried my best to talk them in to letting me go back and have that year.  Even promised to "catch up" at the next birthday.  LOL 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't gotten my own age wrong, but do have a habit of making my Mother and Husband each a year older than they are. They don't care for that very much!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Oh, good heavens, yes...lol   It must be some type of mental block or something  for me but for some odd reason, I often say that I am 51.  It just comes out (I'm 56) without thinking and then I get flustered because I know I am not 51 but I can't think of how hold I am...lol  I suppose my mind is rebelling at being 56.  Also, when I write down the year I was born in, it always looks wrong!  I think "I'm not that old".  And then I do the mental math....and yeah....I'm that old...lol 

Honored Contributor

I am always thinking that I am a year younger than I am.....however, my son reminds me what my real age is.....it's not important to me!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G