Honored Contributor

Figuring out how old you are.

[ Edited ]

I was in the car coming home from an appointment and just thinking about my next birthday this fall. Holy smokes, I'm a year older than I've been thinking I am. I felt young, now I don't feel as young. Told my husband this and he says, through our laughing at this, "don't worry, you're old".  LOL. Thanks a lot bub. He's a year and a half older than I am. See how fast time goes?  I guess we're having fun..."time flys when you're having fun".

LOL

Have you ever gotten your age wrong? I'm sure no young person has, I never did when I was younger.

Valued Contributor

Re: Figuring out how old you are.

Yes, I did that a few years ago. I was talking to a friend on the phone and said "Well, I'll be 58 soon", and he said "No, you'll be 57, I know because I am a month younger than you!".  Well, that was a relief lol.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ha, when I am driving and pondering how old I am, all I can think is that if I had known this was going to be my last car I would have got a different color.

Honored Contributor

My younger sister absolutely obsesses about her age, and I rarely ever think about mine.   IMO, it's only important when you want to get your first driver's license and sign up for Social Security ... lol.

She found it difficult to believe me when I told her when I was in health insurance enrollment that sometimes people would have to go back to their desk to get their wallet and check their drivers license for their DOB.  

Some people care, and some don't.

Honored Contributor

"Old enough to know better, but too young to care." - Shawn Desman

Respected Contributor

LOL!  I kind of tripped myself up in my 50s when I started thinking the next number when I hit my half-birthdays in Aug.  I justified it by claiming it helped me to mentally prepare for that next birthday.  Worked fine for a few years, but now I sometimes have to stop & think about my real age.  At least I can still remember my birth year.  Aw, heck; it's just a number, eh?

Honored Contributor

It happens all the time, @qualitygal

It just doesn't seem important until you register for something that asks for your age (like insurance or, later on, Medicare or other things of that nature).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

No. I never really think about it. It has never made a difference to me turning  30, 40, 50 or 60.  Sometimes I think about how many few years I have left..... But it is a fleeting thought and I go back to my reality TV show and quit thinking so hard.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never worry about how old I think I am, but I look SO MUCH OLDER than I actually am that I sure as shootin' worry about how old OTHER PEOPLE thnk I am!!!

Honored Contributor

Due to a family situation, I started kindergarten before my 4th birthday.  I was always (by far) the youngest person in my class.  I HATED it, so frequently added a year or 2 to my actual age. 

Even today, I never under estimate my age. My husband was in the same class and is 18 months older than me so, occasionally I still miscalculate and make myself older. (based on his age)