Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2015 chessylady said: I just read an article that Tara and Johnny are more honest than skating commentators in the past. They will state when someone s playing it safe or lacking artistic content. They are not so much"homers." I like them both.

I do too, chessylady.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

Thanks l u l u 2 I am looking forward to watching this.

Super Contributor

Anyone remember Torville and Dean's Bolero? Or their silent performance with only the scratch of the skates? Breathtaking.

Not the flash and dash of today, but perfect skating.

Respected Contributor

I subscribe to Icenetwork so watched the men's Short program last night. While there were some great performances, the US men play it safe and do not always do their quads. Their home scores are overinflated so when they go to the World's they cannot keep up with the Japanese men.

The same happens with the ladies who do not consistently do triple-triples. Our Junior ladies do them but once they mature they lose them.

Honored Contributor
On 1/24/2015 muttmom said:

I subscribe to Icenetwork so watched the men's Short program last night. While there were some great performances, the US men play it safe and do not always do their quads. Their home scores are overinflated so when they go to the World's they cannot keep up with the Japanese men.

The same happens with the ladies who do not consistently do triple-triples. Our Junior ladies do them but once they mature they lose them.

While I prefer artistic skating over jam packed jumping programs, the judges reward quads. It seems they'd rather see a quad wipe out as opposed to a clean triple.

I agree that our singles skaters have lost ground when it comes to the degree of difficulty. We've also become sloppy with our edges and are frequently penalized in international competitions.

Just a side note: the 2 Russian ladies who were the darlings of the Olympics had less than stellar follow-up seasons. The gold medalist Adelina Sotnikova was injured. The darling Yulia Lipnitskaya finished 9th in the Russian nationals.

Super Contributor
On 1/24/2015 Anglophilly said:

Anyone remember Torville and Dean's Bolero? Or their silent performance with only the scratch of the skates? Breathtaking.

Oh, yes I remember it well.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed this afternoon's broadcast.

Respected Contributor
On 1/24/2015 lulu2 said:

I enjoyed this afternoon's broadcast.

I did too.

Respected Contributor
On 1/24/2015 Anglophilly said:

They were breathtaking.I will never forget their performances.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

The gold medal winner had the skate of her life. She's obviously worked very hard this past year. If only she'd worked on humility.

Did anyone notice, in the kiss & cry area the coaches and/or choreographer sit right next to their students, usually holding their arms, hands, or whatever? When the score appears, they hug their students.

In the winners case, you could fit another person between the winner and her coaches. When her scores came up, she put her arms over both coaches shoulders. She is always in control.

The men's competition should be a good one.