Honored Contributor

Re: Felicity Huffman Shows Up For Her Punishment

@ms traditional wrote:

put away the crying towel: accommodations at "Club Fed"

This is one of the cramped prison cells at the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California, where Felicity Huffman will spend the next two weeks as she serves time for her role in the college admissions scandal

eoticons-smiley-faces.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

She'll be out by the 27th of this month.

She is going to get early release.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

This is one of the cramped prison cells at the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California, where Felicity Huffman will spend the next two weeks as she serves time for her role in the college admissions scandal

I'm not crying for her but let's be realistic-she's used to a multi-million $$ mansion, nice clothes, good food, and a bedroom most likely the size of my whole house if not larger.

I wouldn't be comfortable here at all, but then again not being a "star" with boku bucks I'd probably adjust faster than she will adjust.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

I'm not crying for her but let's be realistic-she's used to a multi-million $$ mansion, nice clothes, good food, and a bedroom most likely the size of my whole house if not larger.

I wouldn't be comfortable here at all, but then again not being a "star" with boku bucks I'd probably adjust faster than she will adjust.

i think the point of incarceration is not to make people comfortable - but the opposite so they never want to schedule a return visit.  anyone who has ever been to summer camp has endured much worse than this. and, it is, after all, "Club Fed." i'll be interested to see how the others convicted are assigned.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional   I don't think those beds look too comfortable.  LOL

3 people in that one cell? 

I'm not sure what the cell should look like-maybe the curtains are a bit much.

Plus who knows what her cellmates are like. 

I really will regret saying this but her crime isn't one likely to be repeated.  I believe she "gets it" and wouldn't want to go back to prison under any circumstances, comfortable or not.

Anyway, thanks for the pic.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i think the point of incarceration is not to make people comfortable - but the opposite so they never want to schedule a return visit.  anyone who has ever been to summer camp has endured much worse than this. and, it is, after all, "Club Fed." i'll be interested to see how the others convicted are assigned.

@ms traditional, according to friends of ours that have spent years of doing prison ministry, comfort or lack of comfort is the least of concern for prisoners.  They have told us that prisoners miss control over their lives and schedules, contact with the outside world, and privacy.  Those are the 3 main things that really bother them and motivate them to do well while incarcerated.  Want to spend a weekend morning sleeping in a little late?  Too bad.  You are told when to get up in the morning and when to go to bed.  Want to watch a favorite TV show?  Too bad, you watch whatever the majority of the room wants to watch and on a channel that the prison actually receives & only at a time that is allowed on the prison schedule. They have very little choice regarding what they do compared to what they had before prison and that seems to really get to even the most hardened prisoner.   Want to take a shower at a different time?  Too bad, you shower at the time your group is assigned.  

According to them, the most often verbalized dream of what someone is  going to do when they get out of prison is sleep late and take a long hot shower without all kinds of people being around.  They also dream about being able to eat home cooked food or just being able to go out to eat. 

The loss of freedom and control over their schedules is far more disruptive and upsetting for prisoners rather than they size of the cell or what is inside the cell.  According to them, even when someone is in a small cell with very little inside the cell, they acclimate to that fairly quickly when they are there for a while.  They don't acclimate as well as being told when to get up, when to go to bed, having no control over when or what they are going to eat, when to take a shower, when they can go outside, etc.  I am just passing along what they have told us over their years of experience.  

At any rate, Huffman will only be there a few weeks.  I would say it is most probable that the lack of privacy, loss of control over her schedule, and her humiliation will cause her more distress than what her cell looks like.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Her accommodations may not look like what many of us picture as a typical prison, but as many have stated, it is the lack of privacy and control that makes incarceration a "punishment". 

If I had to do my #2 business in front of other inmates, I'd probably hold it for two weeks.  How humiliating 

Respected Contributor

Spot on @pitdakota  and @Cakers3 

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Her accommodations may not look like what many of us picture as a typical prison, but as many have stated, it is the lack of privacy and control that makes incarceration a "punishment". 

If I had to do my #2 business in front of other inmates, I'd probably hold it for two weeks.  How humiliating 

@september not just the lack of privacy for me, but the locking of the cell door and I can't get out.  For those of us who suffer from anxiety and claustrophobia, I'd have to be medicated, seriously.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have no complaint about Felicity Huffman.  She took total responsibility for her actions, immediately and accepted her punishment.

The thought of prison is terrifying for anyone who has never been incarcerated.  This is no camp or an easy time even for 14 days.  Granted it is cleaner than most.  The loss of freedom and privacy and being subjected to random strip searches are terrifying.  She is strip searched every time she has a visitor, twice, Once before seeing them and again when they leave.  She is a felon for the rest of her life.