Super Contributor

Re: Feeling unsafe when on walks

Does this park have a history of violence, or are you just being weird?

You could buy a treadmill and stay home.

Super Contributor

The only thing I can suggest is not to walk in woodsy areas by yourself. Stick to the neighborhood sidewalks. What's the point after all of going walking in lonely woods if you can't feel safe? I think that would be defeating the purpose.

Respected Contributor

I can totally relate to this. I must curtail my jaunts through the more secluded areas and so a lot of the activities that I love, because of the inherent dangers, both big and small in probability. It only takes once to do you in. Sometimes it s u c k s being the more vulnerable of the species.

Honored Contributor

Certainly understand why most ladies would be leery of walking in nowadays, even well traveled areas. Seems like there is always a story about a female being attacked while on a walk or jog when they are alone.

I personally have used a treadmill going way back to 1984, but for much different reasons. It is a shame our world has taken away some of these relaxing and joyful things, but one has to be a realist and not ignore what is going on nowadays.

The way you describe the way you have to walk always looking behind you and being nervous, I don't know how much relaxation I would get out of a run or walk if that were the case for me.

Haven't got any answers for you other than to do what you feel is the safest and most enjoyable way you can accomplish your walking.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I walk my neighborhood and the local park which is safe. Mostly I use a treadmill and watch DVD's. I once was driving from my parents house to 3 hours away to San Diego and had a flat tire. I had triple AAA and called. I was in a truck weigh station and it was scary. Deserted at the time. It was about 11 at night. I was 21. The triple AAA guy was fatherly and so nice. I'l never forget how kind he was. When I think of what could have happened. Most people are kind, it's the sickos that ruined things.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

OMGosh......Ladies, try to avoid driving long distances at night. Close to home is better, when you have to, as you can call local police to wait with you for a tow. I know folks who drive long distances at night, through mountains, rolling hills, etc. out in the middle of nowhere, no stops, stores, stations, whatever. Just miles and miles of darkness. 'Goodness gracious', 'Oh, my gosh', etc., etc. Please be careful. Nothing is that important to drive long distances alone at night.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

NancyDrew: Good luck was definitely with you that night. All it would have taken was two guys driving around looking for trouble.............Glad you were safe and are here with us right now!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Gazelle, I feel bad for you that you cannot go on a nice walk with your dog without being a little afraid. But I totally understand how you feel, and carrying pepper spray is a good idea.

I think the way society is now and all the news reports makes us fearful in a lot of situations where it was not that way years ago...and I don't know if age has anything to do with it. I've lived on the same block for over 30 years, never any problems at all. I was never fearful of being outside at night, walking down the street or to a neighbor's house. I look after my neighbor's boxer dog and their Bengal cat when they are away for the weekend, and when I walk over to let the dog out for the last time at around 11:00 pm, I usually stay in the backyard around the deck to make sure she does what she needs to do. Before I walk over, I turn on my outside carport light, my front porch light, and my back patio light. I go over before dark and turn on their inside lights and their carport light. (Our driveways are next to each other.) Years ago I would never have given it a thought, but now I call my son and have him on the phone with me while I walk over and while I'm outside. Does that sound like I'm being overly fearful or cautious? I wonder sometimes if I'm going a little overboard, but it's very dark in our back yards, and we're not that far from a shopping area and a four-lane street, so there are all kinds of people that could be around. We did have an episode where the police were up and down our street one night looking in all the backyards for someone who had apparently stolen something at the shopping area and had run toward our neighborhood. Does it sound like I'm being too paranoid? I'm not sure.....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Better to be 'paranoid' and keep safe and alive. Beats the alternative: Not being careful at all.

Honored Contributor

We must 'look around' to see who/what is behind us. That's why I am always worried for the many tweens/teens, walking around, looking down, texting..........walking through nearby wooded mini-parks, crossing the busy streets, just everywhere, not paying ANY attention to their surroundings...........makes me very nervous.....