Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Just a guess, been through menopause, or could you be feeling the cabin fever going on?  Meno makes sane women feel crazy, at least that's what I remember.

Yes, it can be the after holiday letdown too.  So sing songs, read, watch good movies, reach out to friends, if you can.  

Menopause,was many years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I get those days and I describe them as feeling "at loose ends".

(and maybe that only makes sense to me)

Trusted Contributor

I have those days also.  Right after Irma was confusion, not only me but several coworkers/friends.  We lost four fam members, three good friends this year. Holidays have been sad and emotional.  2018 will be a better year.  Can’t wait to say bye bye to 2017.  

Super Contributor

For me, sweets make those days worse. So maybe watch your diet, order out Chinese if you like that. And tea.

When I have bad days, I take lithium orotate. It's not the same as the lithium the Dr. prescribes, safe, and OTC. I get mine on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

goldensrbest

I find doing something takes my mind off the blahs AND you accomplish something. I am not sure where you are, but it is snowing like crazy. So I plan on shoveling some snow. And then doing my 86 year old neighbor's after I finish my driveway.

That shakes away the blahs for me.  

Honored Contributor

I think most posts have addressed what is probably a combination of things making you feel this way.

I have trouble some years, shutting down after the big day. I feel like I should be shopping (and have to really curb that urge for a few days), going, doing, planning, and unlike when my child was little and the fun kept going well into January, the ending of all the rush kind of messes with me some years. 

I think even positive and happy people can feel at least melancholy after the holidays. Often, we are looking forward, for many months, to events, visits, traditions etc. and I think many of us on these forums have passed the time where that hectic side of the holidays continues on well into January. No more little kids with all their school functions, the busy busy that having lots of people around creates. Many of us have a much smaller, or laid back holiday season than we remember in our childhood or that we experienced when all our family was young and with us. 

I've gotten used to 'cabin fever' but I have friends and family that never do. They have to be out and about every single day of their lives (no exaggeration) or they are going stir crazy. 

I'm able to be home for weeks on end this time of year, when the weather is dark and grey and cold, and it doens't bother me in the least. 

One thing I have done for many years now, is that when the buzz of the holiday begins to wind down (this year it was the day after Christmas, but used to be more like when the kiddo went back to school) I start making lists and planning my annual purge and deep house cleaning. 

It gives me something to focus on, is satisfying to get things accomplished that bother me (can't stand clutter or an unkept house, and the holidays tend to let both happen). I also make it a point to make contact with a few people in my life, sometimes by phone, other times in person, that I don't get to see or talk to as much as I'd like. Kind of takes away those melancholy feelings. 

At any rate, it is not unusual to feel off this time of year. I know I even feel terrible based on what I have been eating this past week, and started this morning getting back to a more normal food plan. Even that can probably mess with one's feelings (way too much sugar this time of year!).

Trusted Contributor

@summerwind  @Are you taking 120 mcg of lithium orotate?   I’m going to purchase some.  I am a big fan of natural supplements.

Super Contributor

@goldensrbest Thank you for starting this thread. It is helpful to those feeling out of sorts to hear others express their feelings as well. 

I always have an after Christmas let down. I love that time of the year so much, it's tough to see it go. 

This Christmas was far from typical for my family and I believe that, combined with watching my daughter drive away this morning (the last of the family visiting in town), has really done me in this year. 2018 is going to be a tough year for my bunch (job issues, planning an intervention in January on one family member, and watching another family member slip away quickly with dementia) so I know I have to get it together. I've allowed myself today.....one day to be sad, reflect, mourn....I'm not leaving the house today (it's cold as heck out there!!!!) and I'm going to eat whatever I doggone well want to (lots of Christmas goodies still hanging around). 

And then when I a wake up tomorrow, I'm done. I will dust myself off, pull up my boot straps, whatever-cliche-seems-to-fit and I will count the multitude of blessings I have. I'm going to plant a smile on my face and tackle 2018 with gusto---and squeeze every last bit of joy I can muster out of it. 

Starting tomorrow.

For today I will allow myself to be sad, and I think it's ok to do so. Heart

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

I think those feelings are normal this time of year. It is so cold here, 6 below this morning and if you factor in the wind it feels like 24 below. Dangerous to go out in, so will work on a to-do list. I also purge in Jan., cleaning out closets, cupboards, drawers, etc. and make a Goodwill run. 

Super Contributor

@Dawnie, yes, and lately I take 2 in the morning. Been remodelling an old, long-ignored house, and seems it's been one setback after another. I, too, am a big fan of supplements, I can't count all I take, if you count things like coconut oil, cinnamon, etc., that I cook with. On the other hand, I'm 66 and take NO prescriptions, and haven't been sick in over 7 years, and that was probably because I was working with preschoolers Lol!  The brand I use is Advanced Research, fyi. Not promoting it, just sayin'. You may find one you prefer.