Respected Contributor

It was such a beautiful day yesterday in PA we decided to walk around a flea market. They had some really nice items but I was coming across a lot of things that were being classified as vintage.

I was like "what" they aren't vintage, I used to use these things. I know I'm getting old, but there are some things that just jump out at you as a reminder. Yesterday was one of those days. I overhead some younger people commenting on the items, they didn't even know what they were. I can't be that old already, can I? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Are there times and/or items that just make you feel old?

Regular Contributor

Yes. I feel old when I hear the names of musical artists or watch award shows and have no idea who these groups are. There was a time I knew every single artist/group and every word to every song, including BJ's "We Didn't Start the Fire". To this day I amaze my husband with my recall of lyrics from "back in the day". Not so with new music.

Honored Contributor

I commiserate! You know you are old, when you long for days gone by. I feel old regarding technology today. I know not everyone who uses all of these gadgets is a genius --- can't possibly be --- but I just feel so challenged by all of these things. Plus, are they really all necessary? I mean, I often wish we could go back to the time before everything was computerized. I miss the days when we had movie stores, book stores, music stores, etc. All of this stuff makes me feel very, very old. Plus, all of these gadgets are very expensive. I don't have money for all of this stuff. You can't even pull out a real book without being made to feel like you are a relic from another century! I pull out my old trac phone and I feel like a dinosaur!!!!

Computers and technologies - of course, there are jobs there - in manufacturing them, and selling them. But just think of all the jobs that are being done away with because of computerized this and computerized that. Plus, all of the retail stores that have closed because of it.

I try to remain fairly current in my dress and style --- as current as is age appropriate and that I can afford. I try to keep up on music. But the majority of it, I just don't care for.

I try to keep my brain alive by keeping up with current affairs and knowing what is going on around me.

But, so much that is happening today just leaves me puzzled, confused, upset, disgusted, etc.

Vintage? Some things are genuinely vintage - and some things are just old. Like me. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Oh, my. I love flea markets, thrift stores, resale shops, and such........and I'm constantly finding things that I grew up with grouped with the antique and vintage wares. Recently I saw the old Roy Rogers/Dale Evens lunchbox that I carried every day in early elementary school featured on Antiques Roadshow!

Old radios, TV's, and stereos, old kitchenware, old glassware, old costume jewelry, doilies and needlework, old toys, old TV/movie star photos and paraphernalia........I just keep running into familiar stuff from my long-ago past. and from my Mom's and Grandma's houses. I guess I am getting to be vintage myself.........

Honored Contributor

"Are there times and/or items that just make you feel old?"

Yes there are, and it is usually 24 hours every day.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I happened to be in a 'resale' shop a few weeks ago and it was in an 'old neighborhood' of my relatives. So many things I saw I kept thinking they could actually have belonged to my grandparents or my great aunts. I was very melancholy! I wanted to buy so many things. I didn't...I needed to stay focused! I bought an old mirrored bureau and full sized headboard and am going to try using 'Chalk' paint. Should be working on it right now!

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I think sellers use the word "vintage" to make it sound like it's worth more, but not yet qualifying to be called "antique." Then, too, it's a matter of perspective & what was something we commonly used in the sixties seems somewhat quaint to much younger folks.

I cringe when I hear or see the word "elderly." A few nights ago, a local news channel was reporting on a hit & run & called the 67-year-old male victim "elderly." Then there's the new apt complex in my neighborhood that's geared for "elderly" residents over age 55. Really???? I'll be 67 in a few months & don't think I'm anywhere near "elderly." Maybe I'm "vintage" though?{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

I think it happens with all generations.

My mother always loved the big bands, she used to wish they were coming back. By then it was rock and roll and had been for awhile. She must have felt the same way.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

Yes. A pancake house in our area has a ""Senior"" menu for those 55 and older. I don't mind IF I order off the senior menu since the portions are smaller BUT I HATE it when the wait staff ASKS ME FIRST if I want the senior specials.

Super Contributor

Vintage usually refers to anything 20-30 years old, so by that definition there are a lot of items that I remember using that are now considered "vintage items." Most items 100 years of age fall into the "antique" category. In between those years are sometimes referred to as "collectibles." However, these are very general definitions.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan