Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

@lianne

Mine knows that already but being retired I gotta have a plan! He refuses to go back and hasn't except 1 time - after 40 yrs I'm done like a "steak"....he can have this place!!!🙄👎🏻(Married young but have to admit this bday I can get those senior discounts since I'm 60!!! Yippee🙄😉!!!)

Respected Contributor

nycgrl--I totally get it, there is no place like home.  Moved from Western PA in '78 when I got married.  Luckily we were able to get back often and for most holidays.  Made  my first trip to NYC in the mid-90's then took the family for Xmas in 2002.  DS moved there in 2008 and I've made about 4-5 trips to NYC ever since and I love it there, what a wonderful place to be from, lucky you!   I especially love NYC at Christmas time and I try to make a trip up around the holidays, every other year.  I was watching the lighting of the Xmas tree last night, so I totally get why you're so homesick.  I never lived there and I was feeling bad!!!!  I would've gone up this Xmas but just was up there two weeks ago, I got to see HAMILTON!!!!!!! It was great!  As they say in HAMILTON, NYC is the greatest city in the world!!!!

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl, I can certainly understand that one! My husband is retired military so we spent many holidays away from home. Nothing lasts forever, so you probably will be able to get back there eventually.  At least you can visit there. Fill your holiday with those around you, and it'll help.Have a great holiday and try and see positives in the situation in hand. It's not quite the same, of course, but it helps.

Respected Contributor

I totally understand.  Many years ago a lady I worked with described her Christmas in NY and I just could picture it in my head.  Years later, after decades in California, I moved back to Indiana.  I love the change of seasons and people here actually love winter and the snow.  There's just something about the snow falling and how peaceful it is outside as it falls and how beautiful it makes the landscape look.  Maybe you should go back to NY to visit at this time each year and enjoy your memories of NY. 

Honored Contributor

This time of year is poignant for almost everyone , no matter where you live, there are loved ones who have passed on that you miss terribly over the holidays.I grew up and lived in Pittsburgh my whole life until we retired to Fl., but oddly, I do not miss being there over the holidays. When I think back to Christmases in Pittsburgh all I remember is snow and cold and battling the elements. And, of course, when I was working, having to spend Christmas working 12 hour shift. our Christmases here in Florida are much less of an event than they were at home but we have turned them into a much more spiritual occasion - doing more with our church.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't miss any place since we moved around so much,  but sure do miss people who are gone leaving me alone. 

Amen to that.  You can always go back and visit places.

I lost my husband 12/22/15.  I have no interest in the holidays this year.  Lost  my Dad years ago on 12/19 and my Mom years ago 1/16.

\

There are too many empty places at the table.

Jamma

Jamma

Honored Contributor

When we go home each summer we are always struck by how differently we see the city we knew and loved all our lives. We turn on the news and it is ALL about shootings and other murders , rapes, teachers having relations with students and people , esp. kids who have gone missing or found dead. Over & over every evening. What a difference from our Sarasota news where we may hear about a violent crime on the news about once a week, if even that often. Of course Sarasota is a tourism area so they would try to keep the news from being too depressing I suppose, but getting home and hearing the news here is such a relief after the Pittsburgh news.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When we go home each summer we are always struck by how differently we see the city we knew and loved all our lives. We turn on the news and it is ALL about shootings and other murders , rapes, teachers having relations with students and people , esp. kids who have gone missing or found dead. Over & over every evening. What a difference from our Sarasota news where we may hear about a violent crime on the news about once a week, if even that often. Of course Sarasota is a tourism area so they would try to keep the news from being too depressing I suppose, but getting home and hearing the news here is such a relief after the Pittsburgh news.

Unfortunately, where I live in Florida the news is extremely depressing.  You wouldn't think so, but there are daily shootings here as well. I feel safer in NYC in the middle of the night than the sleepy town I live in now.  

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Unfortunately, where I live in Florida the news is extremely depressing.  You wouldn't think so, but there are daily shootings here as well. I feel safer in NYC in the middle of the night than the sleepy town I live in now.  

So what is keeping you there? There are nicer places in Florida - look at Sarasota - it's beautiful here, quiet and about as safe as anywhere you would find in the USA. The biggest danger here are the elderly drivers.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 Sorry to ntell you this but usually when you ask for a senior discount they ask to see your medicare card.