Trusted Contributor

Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

Just turned on the TV and the Rockefeller Center Tree lighting is on.  I used to work at 30 Rock and this time of year is particularly difficult.  I miss home so much, but my life is where I live now and I can't go back (at least not for a very long time).  I sure don't want to retire in NYC - at least not until I hit the lottery.  But I do miss it.  Between this and the Thanksgiving Parade I've been quite emotional.  No one seems to understand - even the people where I live now who grew up there.  I assume that's because their family is now here - in Florida.  This is a very difficult time of year for a lot of people.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

There is no place like home.  I live in San Francisco for 4-1/2 years and I missed home terribly.  I missed the 4 seasons especially.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I understand because I have family in NYC and to them and many New Yorkers, it is the only city in the world and it will always be homeHeart

I hope you can find some new traditions that give you lots of Christmas joy, even in sunny FloridaSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@nycgrl  I'm sorry you are feeling homesick.  Many folks feel the same way so you are not alone.  I'm from New England originally so I also miss some things, too.

But we also won't be moving back.

I hope you will have some joy during this holiday season and be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I sympathize with you!  I live in the city, & there is nothing like the holidays in NY.  Just being on 5th Ave makes you happy.  I worked very close to 30 Rock for years, & loved the area.  Best wishes to you, & in about a month, we'll all envy you!

Honored Contributor

I don't miss any place since we moved around so much,  but sure do miss people who are gone leaving me alone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Like you said, "this is a very difficult time of year for for many people". It is for me too, its not just that I miss the place I used to live, its that so many of my loved ones have gone on too.

I'm sorry for all of us who are hurting.

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl~

I don't know if this will make you sadder but are you watching Christmas in Rockefeller Center on now 8pm eatern time NBC!

We'll watch it with you and pretend we are all in New York!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

To all of you who miss home, sending

Related image

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@nycgrl~

I don't know if this will make you sadder but are you watching Christmas in Rockefeller Center on now 8pm eatern time NBC!

We'll watch it with you and pretend we are all in New York!

@on the bay - so sweet.  Yes, it is on.  I even set my DVR so I can watch it again.  I was blessed to have spent most of my life there.  Christmas in NYC is so amazing and magical.  I just want to snap my fingers and be there and go light my candles at St. Patrick's.  That always makes me feel better.

@Magny - enjoy it all.  Because there really is no place like it at the holidays Heart