Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,804
Registered: ‎05-08-2012

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year


@151949 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When we go home each summer we are always struck by how differently we see the city we knew and loved all our lives. We turn on the news and it is ALL about shootings and other murders , rapes, teachers having relations with students and people , esp. kids who have gone missing or found dead. Over & over every evening. What a difference from our Sarasota news where we may hear about a violent crime on the news about once a week, if even that often. Of course Sarasota is a tourism area so they would try to keep the news from being too depressing I suppose, but getting home and hearing the news here is such a relief after the Pittsburgh news.


Unfortunately, where I live in Florida the news is extremely depressing.  You wouldn't think so, but there are daily shootings here as well. I feel safer in NYC in the middle of the night than the sleepy town I live in now.  


So what is keeping you there? There are nicer places in Florida - look at Sarasota - it's beautiful here, quiet and about as safe as anywhere you would find in the USA. The biggest danger here are the elderly drivers.


It's not that easy.  I have a career and a very good job which I hope to keep as long as possible.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,646
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

@151949

 

I just turned 61 no Medicare for me! I do know Bealls in FL does "50 & Fabulous" 15% off Tuesday's but not my fav store. But thank you for the info.

 

and yes, it's very QUIET and SAFE in our area too -- I get excited if I see anyone after 6:30 pm! 

 

drivers are a whole whole other story....I just came from Kohls and a elderly lady was with walker wandering lot, asked her if she needed help....yup "lost her car" -- here's the kicker: she was parked in another parking lot next store over Home Depot🙄🙀👎🏻

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

Since I have a medicare advantage plan the only uses I have for my medicare card are senior discounts and riding the bus free in Pittsburgh.(seniors ride free - show your medicare card)

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

I have been to Rome, Paris, London & Berlin and NYC. You couldn't pay me to live in any of them. I grew up in a small city in the suburbs and I am just NOT at all a big city girl. Now I live in a very small town that is really a suburb of a small city and I'm right at home. I guess there is something different for everyone.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,960
Registered: ‎11-15-2011

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year


@homedecor1 wrote:

@151949

 

I just turned 61 no Medicare for me! I do know Bealls in FL does "50 & Fabulous" 15% off Tuesday's but not my fav store. But thank you for the info.

 

and yes, it's very QUIET and SAFE in our area too -- I get excited if I see anyone after 6:30 pm! 

 

drivers are a whole whole other story....I just came from Kohls and a elderly lady was with walker wandering lot, asked her if she needed help....yup "lost her car" -- here's the kicker: she was parked in another parking lot next store over Home Depot🙄🙀👎🏻


LOL  I'm not quite there yet!

 

I have never been asked for my Medicare card, my driver's license, yes, never my Medicare card.  

 

"The number one thing you should not carry in your wallet is your social security card."  

 

Your Medicare card has your SS# on it.  Not too smart!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

[ Edited ]

Anyone can find your SS number just by looking it up online. But then you would know that because you know EVERYTHING.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 17,739
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year


@151949 wrote:

Anyone can find your SS number just by looking it up online. But then you would know that because you know EVERYTHING.


You are telling someone that??? I don't believe it!!!!!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,657
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

NYC~is there any way you can plan to have a nice long end of year vacation in NYC? 

 

Instead of your mom coming to you, go to stay with her.

 

We make these plans ourselves as we have grandchildren on LI, so there are times my DH will turn down other travels so that we can make this happen.

 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,804
Registered: ‎05-08-2012

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year


@Lucky Charm wrote:

NYC~is there any way you can plan to have a nice long end of year vacation in NYC? 

 

Instead of your mom coming to you, go to stay with her.

 

We make these plans ourselves as we have grandchildren on LI, so there are times my DH will turn down other travels so that we can make this happen.

 

 


@Lucky Charm - that's what we used to do, but now my mom is not well and can't tolerate the cold.  Our ritual has always been that I go up, we go to see the tree, St. Patrick's and have dinner on the skating rink at one of restaurants.  She can't do that anymore and last year was the first time since I was a child (long time ago) that we didn't have our NYC Christmas.  This year she is coming this Saturday.  She won't move here and I have offered to go back because I worry about her being alone and something happening, but unfortunately she is stubborn and until she is really ready or worse, this is our new norm.  But thank you.164576_10150128398980645_755170644_8313990_2414322_n.jpg

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,777
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Feeling Very Homesick This Time of Year

This might sound cruel, and I'm joking a bit, but I can't imagine a worse place to be in December than Florida.  I watched the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center, and of course we watch the ball drop in Times Square on New Year's Eve, so I'd miss NYC if that were my home. I live near Green Bay and there are probably countless people who would dread living in Wisconsin during winter, but it appeals to me.