Esteemed Contributor

I can't feed them now since neighbors complained about the deer. Rangers said they were eating birdseed and if it's on the ground they consider it feeding deer. 
  I removed all feeders that have been there 50 years and the view from my kitchen bay window isn't the same. 
   I'm considering moving the woods are different now and I worry about the birds.

Honored Contributor

I have so many birds, my favorite are cardinals,and chickadee, been getting 50 lbs,of black sunflower seeds from walmart, $24.99 ,best price around here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't feed the birds, although I would like to. But I have a seriously large squirrel population and I don't want it any bigger.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I can't feed them now since neighbors complained about the deer. Rangers said they were eating birdseed and if it's on the ground they consider it feeding deer. 
  I removed all feeders that have been there 50 years and the view from my kitchen bay window isn't the same. 
   I'm considering moving the woods are different now and I worry about the birds.

I would put up suet cakes ,and thistle seed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I fill the feeders once a day....sunflower chips, safflower seed and thistle seed.  I put out a suet cake twice a week.  What they're enjoying most today, it seems, is my birdbath.  It's a makeshift bird bath and I keep topping it with hot water so it doesn't freeze over.  The sun is shining today, so that's helping.  Won't be surprised to see them splashing around in it later today.

Honored Contributor

I have 3 feedes out.  I put wild bird food out for them once a day.  Sometimes I put suet out, others times I don't.  I don't get many birds in the winter. 

Honored Contributor
I don’t have the right kind of trees to hang feeders so I have to use shepherd hooks. I have a huge squirrel problem so am finishing out some black sunflower seeds and will start mixing millet and safflowers seeds with it. Squirrels don’t like safflower seeds so they will leave the “squirrel-proof” feeders alone....fingers crossed.
Contributor

Wow Redtop, trailer trash neighbors, really? What a comment to make. Why don't you move then!

Respected Contributor

Organic Coconut, I buy it in block-squares, it's the coconut pulp and oil, though the oil part I chop off and use for cooking. it's solidified.

I cut it into very small pieces for the brids and squirrels (Pigeons love it too).

I imagine at night in the alley, the Opossums enjoy the stuff that's accumulated there.

...all animal friends are welcome.

I buy raw peanuts or roasted unsalted peanuts as well as almond halves for them, or seeds - they all love raw pumpkin & sunflower seeds.

I feed them Smuckers Natural Chunky peanut butter (nothing but peanuts in the ingredient list, no added salt or oil) which I schmear on finely chopped granny smith apple pieces - man, everyone enjoys that treat - specially the sparrows & squirrels. 

I also pop organic popcorn on the stove (for me - shared w/them) - they love it - no salt or butter.

I have several shallow water dishes for everyone - as those snacks make them thirsty. (water replaced several times a day every day all year long)

Oh.....and - I feed a feral cat I named Matthew for over 5 years now, we 'tricked out' our patio yard for his safety against the elements and he is fat n happy - has clear eyes, shiny fur, is fixed, has the best food & even organic cat ******....he likes to watch the animal friends enjoy their snacks from one of his many warm, dry, spaces. 

If he would let my husband or I TOUCH him, he'd be swooped up in our arms, brought to a vet for a thorough and given an inside home, but he's a wildchild that loves us at JUST BEYOND FINGERTIP length.

It's a regular Mutual of Omaha WILD AMERICA out back.

My cat Shadow NEVER OUTSIDE without being in my arms  is not too interested in any of it. 

He's a former alley cat, now spoiled & obviously unappreciative...and we adore him exactly like he is.

Valued Contributor

@MoonieBaby Those birds and critters are very lucky to be eating all that healthy fare that you give them!  You have a lot of good ideas and thanks for your kindness to the animals.