Honored Contributor

Re: Feeding birds and rats

[ Edited ]

We have bobcats and coyotes in our neighborhood now. Bobcat has had a litter of babies down by the creek in DD’s backyard. She has a tiny dog that yaps constantly so he is now housebound. I have one birdfeeder. The squirrels swing on it and spill most of it on the ground....then the birds eat it off the ground. Really nothing left for rodents. Do the rodents climb the bird feeders? I would come unhinged if I saw one in my yard! My feeder is far from the house in the backyard...I try and not attract birds or squirrels close to the house. We had a squirrel chew through our chimney cap...no idea how...and fall down our chimney which is very tall....couldn’t climb back up so died on the damper. Imagine our surprise when we opened the damper and it wouldn’t fully open...$1200 later we can use the fireplace. These critter removers and exterminators are making a fortune.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess DH and I are lucky because we have been feeding the birds and deer for years, and have never once seen a rat. We have woods behind us and because of that I expect to see a lot of squirrels, raccoons, opposum, turtles, deer, and an occasional coyote, etc. That is their habitat and I would never consider trapping them or trying to remove them. Rats are another story, but thankfully we have none, even with 3 bird feeders and a container for corn for our deer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U  We had to stop feeding the birds years ago for the same reason. Rats, yuck!  They were so bold, too. At first I noticed them running between the shrubbery as I sat out by the pool in the evening. But then they were sitting out on the patio in broad daylight, right outside our door. Exterminator said absolutely no bird feeders of any kind. We live in a very developed suburb that’s been here for more than 50 years so we’re definitely not rural. Rats can live anywhere and they do. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Bird feeders please read- I saw a post here last week or so about feeding birds (cant find it now), and was reading it and told my husband (who shook it off) . I saw a few people wrote that feeding birds can attract rats. Others disagreed.

Fast forward to today. I was looking out our laundry room window watching the birds in broad daylight no less, and saw not 1, not 2, but 3 rats in the YARD at dropped bird seed (that was under the now melted snow)..

1 rat was going from neighbors shed to our yard. Another was getting seed and taking it under last of snow under dirt/ground. Last one was taking it toward our metal basement door. I took a picture to show my husband (after work)

I got so sick (i hate rodents!) I actually threw up my food! 

We have an exterminator for 7 years for maintenance because we had occasional issues with field mice in garage and 1 got in basement in the Fail (years back). But its been fine lately when he comes that no bait has been taken. And ps we have 2 cats.

I have not been happy with our exterminator though. They don't come exactly when they are to come and I want our home checked regularly. I have to call even though we are scheduled bi- montly for maintanence.(and then they come days later). I tried to call them today for this, and they didn't answer or return my call.

Anyway, saw these rats today talked to DH and we decided to call a better exterminator (more expensive too) that checks entire home including exterior even closes any possible spaces yada yada.

They are coming in the morning. My husband (hesitantly) threw away all bird feeders. BUT there is bird seed all over under where snow was and I mean alot. He had been warned when we had field mice before NOT to throw bird seed (and he used to throw peanuts for squirrels but stopped that long ago!).

Lastly we got in a big argument over the bird feeders today (And we rarely argue). But i had warned him as I said and told him about the post on here a week ago!. So it has to the be the bird seed, because in our country development no one is allowed to keep trash outside (but in the garage only) until trash pick up day. So we do NOT have any garbage, trash, or anything laying around,  and we are clean people!

I am so nauseated its unreal and I PRAY none got in our basement or anything. Ugh! Love birds but no more feeding the birds! oh also, new exterminator said on phone if we have standing water. Water does sit when it rains at bottom of our yard near farmers field but that cant be helped its on a slope. Because rats also like standing water! We also have a hot tub on our deck for my spine therapy, but thats been drained since FALL. 

PS I lived in the city for 50 years and I kid you not I never saw any rats till now here in the country. Well I am shocked. I hope to God this exterminator takes care of this. If I saw 3 we know there's more! I even told DH if any get in our home I'm going to a motel! (lol, funny but not funny)

Just wanted to warn others. Because I just cant get over it! (Hes been feeding birds outside since he built the house in 1995 before i met him, and never had issues!)

Bad news. If you have a car made in the last twelve years you probably have a car that has wiring covered with soy instead of the older petroleum based covering. Rats are attracted to this wiring and eat it. There are plenty of lawsuits over this. Car makers were trying to be friendly to the environment when they instituted this new wiring. Now, we are seeing many auto repairs due to this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Bad news. If you have a car made in the last twelve years you probably have a car that has wiring covered with soy instead of the older petroleum based covering. Rats are attracted to this wiring and eat it. There are plenty of lawsuits over this. Car makers were trying to be friendly to the environment when they instituted this new wiring. Now, we are seeing many auto repairs due to this.

@Mindy D  Yep, DS and DIL live in a very nice condo building in downtown Chicago. They’re having a terrible problem with rats in the garage that are getting under the hoods of the cars and causing lots of expensive damage.  Now I know what’s attracting them. I’ll have to pass this along to them. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I just put up a birdbath and feed the hummingbirds instead.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feeding birds and rats

[ Edited ]

My neighbors on both sides have bird feeders everywhere. Even though I live very close to a creek, I haven't seen many rats, though I know they are nearby. What I have seen are the bushy tailed rats (squirrels) taking lots of the bird food for themselves. They are very adept at climbing, twisting and hanging from a rope to get what they want. We also have raccoons, possums, coyotes, and a variety of big birds, like crows, seagulls, and Herons. And yes, I live in the city, not the woods. Incidentally, watch out for rats making nests in the engines of your cars, sheds, detached garages, etc., plus if they get in under your roof somehow, they can chew up wires. Same thing with squirrels.

Esteemed Contributor

I only feed hummingbirds now.

And last year ants crawled up the shephards hooks, up the garage, up the house into the feeders.  I went from 7 feeders down to 2.  The ants didn't get to the 2 feeders in front of my picture window. 

I hate ants! 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

Bird feeders please read- I saw a post here last week or so about feeding birds (cant find it now), and was reading it and told my husband (who shook it off) . I saw a few people wrote that feeding birds can attract rats. Others disagreed.

Fast forward to today. I was looking out our laundry room window watching the birds in broad daylight no less, and saw not 1, not 2, but 3 rats in the YARD at dropped bird seed (that was under the now melted snow)..

1 rat was going from neighbors shed to our yard. Another was getting seed and taking it under last of snow under dirt/ground. Last one was taking it toward our metal basement door. I took a picture to show my husband (after work)

I got so sick (i hate rodents!) I actually threw up my food! 

We have an exterminator for 7 years for maintenance because we had occasional issues with field mice in garage and 1 got in basement in the Fail (years back). But its been fine lately when he comes that no bait has been taken. And ps we have 2 cats.

I have not been happy with our exterminator though. They don't come exactly when they are to come and I want our home checked regularly. I have to call even though we are scheduled bi- montly for maintanence.(and then they come days later). I tried to call them today for this, and they didn't answer or return my call.

Anyway, saw these rats today talked to DH and we decided to call a better exterminator (more expensive too) that checks entire home including exterior even closes any possible spaces yada yada.

They are coming in the morning. My husband (hesitantly) threw away all bird feeders. BUT there is bird seed all over under where snow was and I mean alot. He had been warned when we had field mice before NOT to throw bird seed (and he used to throw peanuts for squirrels but stopped that long ago!).

Lastly we got in a big argument over the bird feeders today (And we rarely argue). But i had warned him as I said and told him about the post on here a week ago!. So it has to the be the bird seed, because in our country development no one is allowed to keep trash outside (but in the garage only) until trash pick up day. So we do NOT have any garbage, trash, or anything laying around,  and we are clean people!

I am so nauseated its unreal and I PRAY none got in our basement or anything. Ugh! Love birds but no more feeding the birds! oh also, new exterminator said on phone if we have standing water. Water does sit when it rains at bottom of our yard near farmers field but that cant be helped its on a slope. Because rats also like standing water! We also have a hot tub on our deck for my spine therapy, but thats been drained since FALL. 

PS I lived in the city for 50 years and I kid you not I never saw any rats till now here in the country. Well I am shocked. I hope to God this exterminator takes care of this. If I saw 3 we know there's more! I even told DH if any get in our home I'm going to a motel! (lol, funny but not funny)

Just wanted to warn others. Because I just cant get over it! (Hes been feeding birds outside since he built the house in 1995 before i met him, and never had issues!)

Well, that’s at least one advantage of having a 20-year-old car!😄

Valued Contributor

Don't have trouble with rats in my yard. Just Coyotes in the neighborhood and the one who was in my backyard sleeping 3 weeks ago. 20190304_082111-1-1 - Edited.jpgWoman Surprised