Respected Contributor

Re: Feeding birds and rats

[ Edited ]

True. Mom's assisted living took down all the birdfeeders last year as they had attracted rats. It was necessary but a shame, as it was right outside mom's window and she loved watching them. I hung a wind chime there instead, but still wish we could have the birds back...but no one wants rats!

Also last year some of my neighbors took theirs down as they had attracted mice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is scary having rats come.

Now the birds lose out on food.

I will take down my feeder soon as bears coming out of hibernation soon.

Had a bear visiting and called game commision to help.

I love seeing my cardinals and other birds but too risky until we get game

commision guy here. Was coming late last summer, but he had an jnjury.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain  I live in the country and have two feeders hanging by my pine trees in our front yard.  I feed the birds from first snow through early spring.  I stop when the snow melts and the weather warms up because we have the racoons and possums come and trash our feeders, plus the possum poop is deadly to horses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just be happy you didn’t see any reptiles.

When there’s food, everyone comes out for dinner.

The cute, the pretty....even the ones that gives you the heebie-jeebies. 

Respected Contributor

I have read the posts and understand the dislike and distaste and damage issues caused by critters.  On the other hand, I feel so bad for the critters.  Humans are taking their territory.  They were here first.  As far as they are concerned, WE are the problem.  I wish we could use humane solutions instead of exterminating wildlife.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom 

Oh so very correct!  The seed attracts the rodents (and deer), which in turn attracts the snakes.  Which is why I stop feeding my song birds once the weather warms up.  I can handle the mice, voles, squirrels, raccoons and deer, but not the snakes.  

The birds are not much interested in seed with an abundance of insects anyway.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you @Shorty2U ....my neighbors have their feeder in the front yard - birds fly into our garage when open (which is rarely, but should not have to keep the door down because of the neighbors).  This same neighbor does nothing in their yard except mow and once in a while trim.  Their shed has never been opened since they lived there and the weeds are really tall around it - can't imagine what is living in that mess.

We do have a feeder in the back yard and the squirels do not have access but yes some feed does fall out but not a lot.

Sorry you and your husband fought about the birds but I would not like going out in my yard after seeing rodents running around, and especially since we have a dog that loves to be outside.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 .....can your homeowners association speak with your neighbors?  I would be livid and afraid as well!   edited to fix typo.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom 

Oh so very correct!  The seed attracts the rodents (and deer), which in turn attracts the snakes.  Which is why I stop feeding my song birds once the weather warms up.  I can handle the mice, voles, squirrels, raccoons and deer, but not the snakes.  

The birds are not much interested in seed with an abundance of insects anyway.

@geezerette 

I grew up on a farm...lots of buildings filled with harvested grain.

We had lots of mice, etc...and tons of bullsnakes (non poisonous

but look exactly like a rattlesnake from afar) who would eat said mice.

We would beg Dad to kill those bullsnakes but he always refused.

I get the shivers just thinking about that...over 40yrs ago!

Esteemed Contributor

For the first time since I have lived here we are having a rat problem.  The whole neighborhood is getting together to solve it.  I don’t think one household can eradicate them.