Honored Contributor

Re: Feds recover millions in ransom for Colonial Pipeline

@MorningLover wrote:

Colonial Pipeline CEO payed $4.4 million in ransom.

Justice Department said it seized $2.3 million in cryptocurrency of the ransom paid to hackers who shut down Colonial Pipeline’s computer systems.

@MorningLover 

ABC, NBC, DOJ say $4.4 mil recovered.

Great 🙂

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe  Here's where I saw the information I posted.

Washington Post: Federal authorities have recovered more than $2 million in cryptocurrency paid in ransom to foreign hackers whose attack last month led to the shutdown of a major pipeline that provides nearly half the East Coast’s fuel, according to officials.

NYT: The Justice Department said that it had seized 63.7 Bitcoins, currently valued at about $2.3 million.

NYDailyNews: Feds seize $2.3M in cryptocurrency used to pay ransom in Colonial Pipeline hack

CBS News: U.S. recovers $2.3 million in ransom paid to Colonial Pipeline hackers

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Drythe  Here's where I saw the information I posted.

Washington Post: Federal authorities have recovered more than $2 million in cryptocurrency paid in ransom to foreign hackers whose attack last month led to the shutdown of a major pipeline that provides nearly half the East Coast’s fuel, according to officials.

NYT: The Justice Department said that it had seized 63.7 Bitcoins, currently valued at about $2.3 million.

NYDailyNews: Feds seize $2.3M in cryptocurrency used to pay ransom in Colonial Pipeline hack

CBS News: U.S. recovers $2.3 million in ransom paid to Colonial Pipeline hackers

@MorningLover 

See post #1 re WP.

You have your sources, I have mine.

Nothing Follows

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

So Silly, You don't believe the sources I have listed? I copied Washington Post, NYT, NYDaily and CBS.

You can copy anything I posted and it can be found on google.

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover @Drythe 

The devil is always in the details. 

This explains the discrepancy in the amounts being reported:

The Bitcoin amount seized — 63.7, currently valued at $2.3 million after the price of Bitcoin tumbled— amounted to 85% of the total ransom paid, which is the exact amount that the cryptocurrency-tracking firm Elliptic says it believes was the take of the affiliate who carried out the attack. The ransomware software provider, DarkSide, would have gotten the other 15%.

My source was the Associated Press (AP)

https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-government-and-politics-8e7f5b297012333480d5e9153f40b...

We all know what the Associated Press is so.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life