Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I forgot to mention that I am always picked! yahoo.gif

I've been summoned maybe 10 times over the years and never chosen.  My DH was a deputy sheriff and that seems to be the kiss of death, although I'm quite capable of making an impartial decision.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i have only been called once for jury duty about 20 years ago or so and all i did was sit there for half a day......then i was dismissed because the case had settled out of court. i have never been called since.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Your doctor should help you.....if not, I'd fire him......and if you have to report, make sure you tell the judge you consider everyone guilty until proven innocent!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

You must learn to be your own advocate.  Present the facts to your doctor just as you have here.

Don't sound plaintive or as if you are asking him for a favor.  You have good reason to ask to be excused.  In your condition you cannot be counted on to show up every day or sit through the traveling, let alone jury questioning.

You are not asking for a favor, you are stating the facts, remember that when you talk to him.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I served Federal Grand Jury duty a few years ago.  In my state, you served 3 days per month for 18 months.  Grand Juries do not hear trials. They hear cases and vote whether to indict or not.  Because of this, there isn't the typical voir dire that you go through on regular jury service.  Everyone within a number series was picked.

If your state is the same, you should probably call the jury commissioner as soon as possible to ask how you go about getting a medical excuse.  

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Hmmmm, makes me wonder if the upcoming Fed trial will be for SEXY "Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino?" Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I would hope the Dr would sign off.

Esteemed Contributor
Thanks again and I hope the Dr signs too, b.c I go there every 3 months year round and I go to my pain Dr every month or 2 year round. Both Drs know and have all of my MRIs, and records. I know a lot of people just don't want to go. But with me, if I wasn't like this with all these health issues and if my husband wasn't about to get transplant, I'd love to go, I really would. But I don't see how I can so I hope I can get excused.
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Ugh!!! I got called for Federal jury duty in Philly. 1.5 or so (almost 2 hours) from where we live. A. I have chronic back pain and take multiple medications. B. I am not to drive (and cant stay in motels like this). C. My husbands about to go for corneal transplant in weeks.

(There is no date on the forms for when jury duty would be if need to go?).

I filled them all out and am going to call my Dr tomorrow to see if he will provide a letter. If not I'm going to have DH drive me to my pain team Friday to see if they will.

Oh Id love to be on jury duty but I cant do it. It would be an extreme hardship, especially to do Federal vs local!

PS I haven't been called for duty since I had cancer almost 7 years ago and couldn't go then to the local one due to back issues and going daily for treatment. But then I had a different Dr. This new Dr wouldn't even sign my paper to get "our own" money back for a concert I could not attend, (that I took insurance out for), so I hope he signs for this or I don't know what I am going to do!

You have not been called to serve on a Jury yet.  Periodically people get these forms to keep their pool fresh or whatever reasoning they use for sending them.  When you get a call to serve, you will know the place to report, the time and an estimate on how long you will be required to serve.  After you've filled out the forms, you might not get called, ever.  Then, you may be called immediately.  Depends.  Worry when you get a Notice to Serve.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I served Federal Grand Jury duty a few years ago.  In my state, you served 3 days per month for 18 months.  Grand Juries do not hear trials. They hear cases and vote whether to indict or not.  Because of this, there isn't the typical voir dire that you go through on regular jury service.  Everyone within a number series was picked.

If your state is the same, you should probably call the jury commissioner as soon as possible to ask how you go about getting a medical excuse.  

@mstyrion 1This is true, but the poster doesn't indicate whether it's for Grand Jury Duty or Regular Jury Duty.  Both are done on the Federal/State and local levels.  This may be related to just "Jury Duty."

*Call Tyrone*