Esteemed Contributor

Ugh!!! I got called for Federal jury duty in Philly. 1.5 or so (almost 2 hours) from where we live. A. I have chronic back pain and take multiple medications. B. I am not to drive (and cant stay in motels like this). C. My husbands about to go for corneal transplant in weeks.

(There is no date on the forms for when jury duty would be if need to go?).

I filled them all out and am going to call my Dr tomorrow to see if he will provide a letter. If not I'm going to have DH drive me to my pain team Friday to see if they will.

Oh Id love to be on jury duty but I cant do it. It would be an extreme hardship, especially to do Federal vs local!

PS I haven't been called for duty since I had cancer almost 7 years ago and couldn't go then to the local one due to back issues and going daily for treatment. But then I had a different Dr. This new Dr wouldn't even sign my paper to get "our own" money back for a concert I could not attend, (that I took insurance out for), so I hope he signs for this or I don't know what I am going to do!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I was notified that I was on call for jury duty last year for the month of January, but I never got any call.  Even if you do get called there's no guarantee that you will be chosen for the jury.  I think there are less jury trials than in the past.  Judges like to have the attorneys settle the cases out of court, or a trial with only the judge and not a jury.  They try to keep the cost down and the trouble of setting a jury.

I was called to be interviewed for a jury once and watched another lady in the group being considered.  She brought her crochet bag and crocheted throughout the ordeal and didn't pay attention.  Needless to say, she wasn't chosen.

I have been chosen twice, and I think it was quite an honor and very interesting.

Honored Contributor

It's too bad you can't serve.  I was on a federal grand jury for a month ... a couple of years ago.  It was a fantastic experience.

Last summer ... I was on a state court jury for a week.  Again .... interesting experience.

And ... the few extra bucks weren't all that bad!

Esteemed Contributor

If you are taking medications and cannot drive, your Dr should be able to get you out of it.  I had two different Dr's get me out of jury duty because of medications that I am on.  Also because I was my husbands only care giver.  You should not have a problem.  Do it as fast as you can.  THey don't give you much time.

Respected Contributor

I have been called twice to Federal Jury. The federal court house is 1 hour from my home. The first time I was able to go. The second time, I asked for an excuse because I am the caregiver of my 88 year old mother and she was in the hospital and my request was refused. I was shocked at that. Luckily, I did not have to travel to the court house that time, just had to call every week x 4 weeks and the jury was never called. I would get a note from my doctor. I did serve on a local jury once and enjoyed it so that was not the problem. 

Honored Contributor

I love the State & Federal Special Grand Jury, Grand Jury & all inbetween.

When I retired 16 yrs ago, I put a bug in the Head Jurist ear that I was interested in becoming a permanent juror when needed.  The person told me "there is no such thing.  You're watching too much crime tv." Smiley Frustrated  In my neck of the woods, juries are picked by a bingo lottery system. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I forgot to mention that I am always picked! yahoo.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I was sent a local jury duty summons back in June, I called to see if I could change the 'month', I've never had a jury summons for an entire month.

They told me I could have any month in 2016 after June.  So I chose a different month that was more convenient for me.

It's close by, so I don't mind -- what I do find inconvenient, you need to be available the entire month.Woman Frustrated

I did serve once in my life, it was interesting.

Honored Contributor

If your doctor won't write a note, then just report when called, and at the earliest opportunity when they call your name, just tell the judge of your medical condition and medications.  I'm sure it's fairly common for people to be excused for this.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I hope the Dr writes a note and it helps.

Its something, my husband always wanted to go to the local one. He has gotten papers to fill out  I don't know how many times. He then calls the night before and his number is never called to go the next day. He always got upset because he could go then. So, because his number never came up, I often said maybe they should take volunteers. Im sure there are many who can and would love to go but don't get called! lol.

Well if I cant get out of it I will have to take a cab (costing 35 dollars) to the bus stop in the nearest city to us (costing I don't know how much more for the bus?) and bus down there and take another cab to the court house, and pray I can walk after that! (I cannot go on long car rides due to severe pain setting in). I haven't been on a vacation in 20 plus years because of my spine issues. (I do go to movies, and out to eat. Even when I went to 1 concert this year I had to get the nerves in my back nuked TO go, but I cannot get that done this soon again.)

I guess? I could use uber but Id rather pay for cabs and buses than ride with some stranger alone. So I hope I get dismissed!

Anyway I will call my Dr tomorrow morning. I only have 10 days to get the papers back.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles