Super Contributor

Federal Employee Dental Plans

I am retired Federal employee and thinking of switching from MetLife Dental to Blue Cross dental, which is new to FEHB I believe. Anyone have any opinions on which is better. I looked at the charts, and way too difficult to figure out, never mind compare.Thanks in advance, Susi!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Federal Employee Dental Plans

Check before you do anything.  I'm a retired State employee.  I was looking to change my expensive, pay for almost nothing, dental plan but was told if I changed anything I would lose all of my coverage..........including medical.  We apparently take it all or nothing.

Each state and agency may be different.  I hope yours allows for changes.  Good Luck!!

Honored Contributor

Unless things have changed.  Vision and dental for FEP are not the same in all 50 states.  Every locality has a different provider.

I would suggest, you look and compare the two plans with what you think you might need for the next year.

routine cleanings...something you will probably have done

xrays...will probably have done

fillings...a good chance of using

May be needed:

dentures

crowns

periodontal work

compare the price and benefits on what you are most likely going to use.  Your Retiree HR department probably has someone to help you decide as well

Frequent Contributor

My husband is a retired Federal employee and we have the BCBS dental.  They pay so little on any dental claim we've had that we don't even factor it in anymore.  The medical part has been good, but not the dental.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

While I am not a federal employee nor is DH, we have BCBS but chose Cigna for our dental plan.  It provided more coverage for less monthly premiums and our dentist is in  network.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@Susic  A quick look at those 2 plans for my area (major metropolitan) shows the Metlife is more expensive for one person with standard option.  I have the Blue Cross dental and have for years so it is not new to FEHB unless I missed something.  I carried it into retirement.  I have had routine stuff for the past few years and it does cover a portion of it.  The regular Blue Cross for medical is miserable for dental coverage (like pennies).  I have some big ticket teeth items coming up for 2022 (look like Class C vs Class A).  All this information can be so confusing.  But both sites have summary info that should tell you what you need to know to decide.  I guess I am a bad consumer, I rarely think to check this stuff during Open Season.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I will never understand why your teeth, eyes and ears are not included in a standard health insurance plan. I think the ins companies figure eyes, teeth and hearing are luxuries one can live without? I guess I can live without legs or arms too, they really are a luxury. Maybe that will be next.
I guess the smart people who run insurance companies have perfectly legitimate reasons for this idiocy.
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread   when it comes to federal employes, their insurance is not chosen by any insurance company.  The federal government draws up what they want covered and how it will be processed.

They hire out the claims processing to insurance companies..  I have done customer service for FEP ( Federal Employee Plan) and it isn't easy.  They do strict audits every month. And,  if you make an error, the fines are heavy.

The same insurance offered to federal office workers is the same the higher-ups get.  At least they are fair about that.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. Guess I will stay with MetLife for another year anyway. Very hard to compare with online charts, and every little thing that can be done to one tooth, even fillings is so complicated. Need to find a new dentist as well. Was hoping someone had tried both plans and could give me some insight. At work , I could just ask someone that had the other plan lol, retired now, so no one to ask! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

As a former Fed, I appreciate your work!

I've never done a separate dental plan, but, on the whole, I think we are offered good coverage.  When I worked, I was in the Public Affairs office trying to explain how FEHBP worked and it was always a challenge!