Honored Contributor

FedEx Driver Goes Beyond the 'Call of Duty'

A U.S. Marine veteran who was driving for FedEx ended up going beyond the call of duty after noticing an American flag lying on the ground. 

Home surveillance footage caught the extraordinary act of patriotism as the driver pulled over to a house where he wasn't even making a delivery. 

The FedEx driver got out of his truck and picked up the flag, carefully folding it and storing it away from the wind.

The flag pole had broken and fallen over in heavy winds on Gail Cook's front yard.

Cook posted the video to Facebook: 'Today our flag pole broke with the high winds.

The FedEx driver saw this when he was driving by and stopped. He not only picked up the flag but folded it properly and put it away safely on our porch. Thanks!!! I hope he gets the recognition he deserves, I can't thank him enough!'

Cook later managed to contact the driver, Mike King, who also happened to be a Marine veteran. 

He said he was 'just doing what was right. It's the Marine way, would have done better justice for Lady glory if the wind wasn't gusting at 50 lol ... I couldn't just drive by and do nothing.'

Photos and video here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6449751/US-Marine-veteran-folds-fallen-American-flag-workin...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Re: FedEx Driver Goes Beyond the 'Call of Duty'

I read this earlier. What a wonderful thing to do. Up and beyond that, Fed Ex praised him as well - as nutty as some corporations act today amother company may have fired him for taking 2 minutes off of his delivery schedule!
Honored Contributor

I too read this, and it brought tears to my eyes.  All for the love and respect of his country.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had seen this video on Facebook - what a wonderful thing for him to do. Also glad that Fed Ex acknowledged his actions in a positive way,

Trusted Contributor

What a heartwarming story!!

Contributor

Thank God we have men and women who serve in the United States Marine Corps.  Semper Fi devil dogs!

Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopygrl wrote:

Thank God we have men and women who serve in the United States Marine Corps.  Semper Fi devil dogs!

After I read the post the first words out of my mouth were...Semper Fi!!!!!!  And than I thought of my friend in MN, a former Marine in the Korean War.  God Bless all of our former and present military personnel.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam