Respected Contributor

FedEX shipping rates to increase Jan. 7

FedEx To Raise Ground, Home Delivery Shipping Rates Starting Jan. 7 -- MarketWatch

9:13 am ET November 5, 2018 (MarketWatch)

FedEx Corp. (FDX) said Monday it will increase U.S. shipping rates by an average 4.9%, starting Jan. 7, 2019. The package delivery service said the increase includes rates for U.S. domestic, U.S. export and U.S. import services, including FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery. Rates for FedEx SmartPost will also increase. FedEx Freight shipping rates will increase by an average of 5.9%. FedEx reported in September fiscal first-quarter operating expenses increased 12% to $15.98 billion, as employees costs rose 11% and purchased transportation grew 15%. The stock was still inactive in premarket trade. It has lost 8.9% over the past three months, while shares of rival United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS) have declined 11%, the Dow Jones Transportation Average has slipped 2.3% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average has gained 2.2%.

Honored Contributor

Re: FedEX shipping rates to increase Jan. 7

The post office clerk told me yesterday 'they' are trying to get an increase of 50 cents more on  stamps, first of the New Year. 

He wasn't 100% sure it would go through or would be that high, but he said the employees were notified there WOULD be an increase.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

The post office clerk told me yesterday 'they' are trying to get an increase of 50 cents more on  stamps, first of the New Year. 

He wasn't 100% sure it would go through or would be that high, but he said the employees were notified there WOULD be an increase.

An additional $.50 would be ridiculous.  I hope it doesn't pass.

Honored Contributor

With the huge increase in shipping all the shipping companies are having to hire more people, expand their shipping to more hours, and most likely buy more trucks.  Im sure the cost will be huge.  So they will pass it on to customers.  No big surpise, Im surprised that it hasnt happened sooner.  

As for the PO, there are times when we get our regular mail by our regular postman and packages by a different post person on the same day.  So they have hired more carriers equaling more cost so they have to pass the cost on to us, the customer.  No surprise here either.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

That's big.

There is no free lunch.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately inevitable inflation.

Esteemed Contributor

If you look back this has become an annual event for all carriers, as is the amount of the increase.

As a note Q usually raises their S&H a few weeks before the carrier increases kick in.  Hopefully this year, in light of other companies offering unrestricted free shipping, Q will follow suit or at least postpone any increase.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1,

Heard this on the news this morning,

http://images.clipartpanda.com/smiley-face-thumbs-down-clipart-aceRqezki.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I hate to think that we all become dependent on online shopping and become a captive audience to shipping fees that will no doubt skyrocket when they know we have little choice.  I like to split my shopping between the brick and mortar stores and online.