Respected Contributor

Re: Fed Up With Scam Robocalls and Telemarketers!

@handygal2 wrote:

Are you as fed-up with scam robocalls and telemarketing solicitations as l am??!!  I'm now getting several every day on both my landline and cellphone. This article gives some advice on how to reduce the number you get on your landline. (It's easier to block them on your cellphone if you have a Smartphone). Here's the link:

http://usat.ly/2qmvkLE

I love my cell blocker from Amazon, blocks up to 10,000 numbers $89. I think it's cheaper now. So easy to ser up and use.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cerb wrote:

Yes, I find those calls annoying.  The Do Not Call registry did not work at all for us.  We got a Call Blocker unit which cut the calls by about 95%.

Unlike many of the people I know who have gotten rid of their landlands and use just cell phones, I DO NOT want to give my cell phone number out to many people.  I only want my family and closest friends to have that number.  Casual acquaintances, doctors, schools, etc., I give my landline number to.  My DH uses his cell phone number all the time and now he's virtually harassed day and night by people calling him on his cell phone.  And I don't mean telemarketers, I mean co-workers, neighbors, and business calls.  We can't sit through a peaceful dinner without his cell phone going off.  Who wants a cell phone that goes off during church? while shopping? during doctor appointments?  I for one, need to be able to get away from a ringing (or buzzing) phone...

So do I.  So I activate "Do Not Disturb" or I shut my phone off if I'm in a situation where I don't want it to ring.  In the theater, when I'm driving, at medical appts, out to lunch with friends, watching a movie at home, whenever I feel like it.   Having a phone and giving out the number doesn't mean it has to be turned on all the time.

You certainly can have "a peaceful dinner" if you choose to do so.  If you and your husband are truly feeling harrassed, I highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

@cerb wrote:

Yes, I find those calls annoying.  The Do Not Call registry did not work at all for us.  We got a Call Blocker unit which cut the calls by about 95%.

Unlike many of the people I know who have gotten rid of their landlands and use just cell phones, I DO NOT want to give my cell phone number out to many people.  I only want my family and closest friends to have that number.  Casual acquaintances, doctors, schools, etc., I give my landline number to.  My DH uses his cell phone number all the time and now he's virtually harassed day and night by people calling him on his cell phone.  And I don't mean telemarketers, I mean co-workers, neighbors, and business calls.  We can't sit through a peaceful dinner without his cell phone going off.  Who wants a cell phone that goes off during church? while shopping? during doctor appointments?  I for one, need to be able to get away from a ringing (or buzzing) phone...

@cerbWhen I go to doctor's appointments, I leave my cell in the car, the same goes for church.. While eating I turn my phone off. When I don't want to be bothered I turn it off or put the phone on silent. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan and @JaneMarple, thank you for your kind, supportive words.  I don't have a problem with MY cell phone ringing.  I have it on silent/vibrate mode.  It's everybody else's ringing phones and loud conversations in public places that can get on my nerves.  Glad to know that the two of you are among those that are thoughtful and don't fall into that category.

Honored Contributor

If you all are so sick of span phone calls....get rid of your landline phone! I've had a cell phone exclusively about the last 8 years and have not yet every received any unwanted phone calls! Never! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

We changed our internet and lost the bundle with Dish so instead of finding a new land line, we decided just to use our cell phones. The silence of not having the phone ring all day has been soooo peaceful. No interruptions and no more checking that call during my shower (was it my son needing a ride?) only to find it was UNKNOWN name. Love that it's gone. Now if I get a call, it's for me.

I agree.   10 years ago we moved into a temporary residence for 3 months while they were finishing up our new house construction.  There was no land line there.   It was bliss.   When we moved in to the new house, we didn't get a landline and have never regretted it for one second.  No one second!!

Try it, you'll love it.   I get maybe 8-10 unknown calls a week on my cell.  I don't get them at 6 am or 11 pm.   I don't answer them.  I block and delete them.   Ditch that archaic landline and join the land of the free.

Valued Contributor

The DNC Registry doesn't apply to not-for-profits/charities or politicans.  And the scamsters don't give a rip about it, b/c they just move elsewhere.

It's a dead giveaway when they call me by my first name (which I don't use) and/or mispronounce my last name.  Then I tell them they have reached a nonpublished phone number enrolled on the DNC list so don't call back and blow a whistle into the phone.  Maybe it doesn't totally deter them, but it makes me feel better.

Oh, and since your DH is turning 65?  Be prepared for the deluge of snail mail regarding Medicare advantage/supplement plans, esp during fall's open enrollment period.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If you all are so sick of span phone calls....get rid of your landline phone! I've had a cell phone exclusively about the last 8 years and have not yet every received any unwanted phone calls! Never! 

You are lucky then.  I don't know anyone who doesn't get them on their cell phone as well.

I never, EVER give out my cell phone number yet I get 2-3 a day.

No one I know ever calls me...we always text.  My cell should never ring...LOL

it is ringing right now!  LOL

REJECT CALL!!

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

What am I missing here?   I don't understand all of the hullabaloo about these calls.   The solution is not complicated.  Don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number.   If it is someone you know, they will leave a message.  If it isn't, they won't and you haven't had to deal with them. 

Easy peasy.   Problem solved.   just because your phone rings, you don't have to answer it.  They don't bother me at all because i don't answer the phone.

The unknown calls are incessant @Bridgegal.  They are bothersome.   I don't answer calls I don't know but that doesn't make it any less troublesome.  It's a pain......truly it is.

@itiswhatitis

We actually agree on something

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Boy I don't know what's going on but this week I've really been bombarded with these calls.....I don't answer them, but its still a pain to have to delete and block them.....and caller Id doesnt even help these days because now they spoof numbers.......My carrier doesnt do NOMOREROBO........  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”