Trusted Contributor

@nana59 

Hope you don't mind me putting my 2 cents in here Smiley Happy  Instead of chemicals, why don't you purchase a cool air defuser and purchase some essential oils?  You can purchase all of these things online (usually Amazon).  You can purchase scents like peppermint, lavender, lemon, etc.  I don't use any kind of sprays (even Lysol - it's all chemicals).  I use a product called Zum Mist.  I even use a product that has mixed essential oils in it called "Theives" (that's made by a company called Young Living).  

I'll guarantee it won't leave you chocking or being over powering.  You control the amount to difuse.  

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@nana59 

Hope you don't mind me putting my 2 cents in here Smiley Happy  Instead of chemicals, why don't you purchase a cool air defuser and purchase some essential oils?  You can purchase all of these things online (usually Amazon).  You can purchase scents like peppermint, lavender, lemon, etc.  I don't use any kind of sprays (even Lysol - it's all chemicals).  I use a product called Zum Mist.  I even use a product that has mixed essential oils in it called "Theives" (that's made by a company called Young Living).  

I'll guarantee it won't leave you chocking or being over powering.  You control the amount to difuse.  

I would be careful with using a diffuser with EOs. Some oils are not pet-friendly and some are not meant to be inhaled. Best do the research about oil diffusing beforehand. I purchased a book about it because I was concerned about the safety of some of the oils.

Honored Contributor

Re: Febreeze Air Effects

[ Edited ]

CHERRY:

Yes,  I had thought about simmering something such as orange peels and/or lemon peels, etc.

I meant to post yesterday, but 'forgot' to post.

I like your idea re: whole cloves, cinnamon stick, and a drop of vanilla simmering in water.

Maybe in a slow cooker/crock pot..........but otherwise, simmer and turn off the stove and let the scent fill the air for the rest of the day.

Nice!

I'll give it a try!   Thank you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just thought of something............

A couple of months ago, I used a couple of drops of pure orange extract (food quality, and NOT essential oil) into a pack of unscented baby wipes.

'Why', I don't know'..........just gave it a try for some unknown reason (lol).

Anyway, it was very strong..........But, I'm thinking that a only a drop into simmering water or a crock pot/slow cooker might be refreshing.........

And since orange EXTRACT in tiny moderation (grocery, food quality) is meant to be added to edible food dishes, cakes, etc., the scent probably wouldn't cause much, if any, harm to humans and pets. 

Keep in mind that I don't know about birds.......they are very sensitive.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

My neighbor smokes and uses Febreeze to cover the smoke odor.  The Febreeze only makes the odor worse.  I don't see how she cannot smell that unless her sense of smell is affected by smoking.  I don't go to her house anymore because I come home smelling like that odor and when she comes to visit me, I open the windows when she leaves as she brings the odor with her.

I do not use any scent as they are unpleasant to our animals due to their extreme sense of smell.  As far as plug in room scents, they are so strong they even bother me so I can't imagine how they must affect animals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Oh my gosh'...........I just thought of something:

Have I been viewing a TV commercial of a person spraying and spraying a room right in front of a dog lying on a sofa?

I don't know which brand it is, but now that I'm thinking about it, 'poor dog'.

And moms out there could be spraying and spraying in front of and all around their newborns and babies, young toddlers, children.

Sometimes we 'copy' what we see on TV.

Sometimes we don't know why we do things, but our minds just imitate what we've been shown over and over again.

Sort of like 'brainwashing', so to speak.

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove 

Thank you thank you!!!! We don't have BJs but I looked in Sam's today -- no fresh step, then I stopped at Pet Smart, WM, Target, Publix - only febreeze scented😡.

They are supposedly opening in late Fall a BJs.  Until then I'll keep my 🤞🏻 crossed I can still find "unscented" in box.  I noticed the bag you posted is "clumping style" -- mr fussy kitty didn't like the texture🙄and used the tile vs box😡😡😡.  I'll try anything not to smell perfume or his litter box odor🙂

Thanks again😺

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 ...I have great news for you!...Go to the "Fresh Step" website itself and you can order packages of four 10 lb. bags directly from them...They have a new "Free & Gentle Unscented Litter" that just came out!...It is also indicated that it is available exclusively at PetSmart...Since it is new, it will probably be a little while before it is available in their stores...However, it is available at PetSmart online.

Okay, check it out and I hope that this will work out for you!...Good Luck!

It really doesn't take much at all to keep us women happy!...We really aren't as complicated as men make us out to be!   LOL Woman Very Happy

Free & Gentle Unscented Litter
Free & Gentle Unscented Litter
Introducing New Fresh Step® Free & Gentle Unscented Litter. Our 42 lb. size is available exclusively at PetSmart.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Oh my gosh'...........I just thought of something:

Have I been viewing a TV commercial of a person spraying and spraying a room right in front of a dog lying on a sofa?

I don't know which brand it is, but now that I'm thinking about it, 'poor dog'.

And moms out there could be spraying and spraying in front of and all around their newborns and babies, young toddlers, children.

Sometimes we 'copy' what we see on TV.

Sometimes we don't know why we do things, but our minds just imitate what we've been shown over and over again.

Sort of like 'brainwashing', so to speak.

I remember seeing that, they were advertising the Pet Effects Spray, for people with pets, and they did have a dog on the sofa...I am quite sure when making that commercial, there probably wasn't any real spray coming out, but I imagine some people actually do spray it like that....I have never thought to use it to mask smells, rather a couple of sprays just to freshen up a room or maybe after cooking something really strong. 

Sometimes people can overdo it with the sprays and like one poster said using it to try to mask smoking odors. To me, it just intensifies that smell. And ends up smelling worse!