Honored Contributor

Re: Fear of Flying Post Germanwings Crash--Increased, Decreased or Unchanged

Funny how the public's interest is piqued when it comes to Airline deaths. I don't understand it. On March 24, more than 150 people, worldwide, died of homicide & drunk drivers on the roadways. Many will say, 'airline travel is different...you give up total control', but how is that different when someone gets hit & dies from a drunk driver?

Super Contributor

Getting on a plane this weekend. Not thrilled but we're not cancelling our plans. Turbulence scares me.

Trusted Contributor

I've never been crazy about flying. After 9/11, it was quite a feat for me to get on a plane for the first time. Over the next couple of years, I became so relaxed that I would fly alone and sleep on the plane.

Now, it's been quite a few years since we've traveled because of family obligations. We are beginning to plan our first trips. I was already nervous and knew I'd have to work through the fear again. This incident isn't helping. But, it's not going to stop me.

I'd rather fly than take a bus. That feels much more unsafe to me...barreling down a highway in a sardine tin, at 70+ mph, with one person behind the wheel for hours!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I flew on Sunday and I'm flying again tomorrow morning. We do a lot of air travel because of my husband's job. Never flew this much before, except for vacations/visiting families. Now it's at least once a month round trip for the past three years.

Unfortunately, I developed claustrophobia a few years ago and I have to sit in the front row now. Can't look up at all the people standing in the aisle waiting to take their seats. Can't look at the back of the plane and see all the passengers crammed in. Makes me sick to my stomach. I don't like when they slam the door shut after everyone has boarded either.

Before that happened though, the thought of terrorists never scared me on a flight I was on. I would always think about faulty wiring or mechanical problems that may take a plane down. Or a bad landing.

Respected Contributor

I am an anxious flyer but will still fly often.

The alternative is not to go anywhere I might want to go, and I won't accept that alternative.

ETA: I flew a week after 9/11 and my last flight was from LA to S Florida on Sunday night. I don't enjoy flying but I will not curtail my activities to stay "safe." Especially as most accidents actually happen at home anyway.

Respected Contributor

I'm already afraid to fly as it is. Don't have any plans to fly soon either.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I've been just about everywhere I've ever wanted to visit, so no more flying for me. Plenty of beauty all around here that I haven't yet spent enough time exploring.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't flown in years and that does NOT have to do with being scared. It has to do with health issues, the long lines checking in, the whole thing would be rough on me. Since 911 there are just too many things to go through TO fly so I don't.

So I am NOT scared TO fly and I have flown many times years ago.

Now my husband, he has never flown and never will. His best friend was killed in a plane crash. It took a toll on him and he wont fly. I don't make fun of him because I don't like closed in places, like elevators!, (but I never minded planes- go figure!).

I have friends that will fly in the USA but will not fly overseas. Then I have other friends who hate flying but they do it, (BUT they take Xanax and or have a drink on the plane..lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Shorty2U: Yes, I'm guessing that lots of folks are doing the same.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Unchanged

I will not let the crazies of the world make my world smaller.