Respected Contributor

My favorite place to eat is 1000+ miles away from where I live, "The Lobster Dock" in Boothbay Harbor, ME.  It was on "Beat Bobby Flay" once but I've liked it long before then--my favorite place for a "lobsta" roll when I am visiting Maine. 

My sister (like her whole family in Maine) does not like lobster and never eats it, but she likes the Lobster Dock, too.  Occasionally, very occasionally, she even orders fish.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Spurt :-)

I live close to a tourist area with high-dollar menus because of location, location, etc - looking out over the marina, the bay, etc. And when I lived in LA I lived close to the same types of places in Santa Monica. They over-charge because they can. Not all the time, but when I feel like splashing out I go to the places where I've had good food and good service.

The $45 included entree, a (cough) alcoholic beverage 😜, tax and tip on the water, so that wasn't just for the food. Drinks run $9-12 per here :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

There's a great show on the Travel Channel called Bizarre Foods Delicious Destinations. It's currently in its 5th season. The OP's original post if in video format might be just as interesting to watch as this series.

The series interviews the chefs of exciting restaurants all around the world - how their popular dishes are made, the history and the reaction of the locals and tourists as they savor each bite.  

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

My favorite place to eat is 1000+ miles away from where I live, "The Lobster Dock" in Boothbay Harbor, ME.  It was on "Beat Bobby Flay" once but I've liked it long before then--my favorite place for a "lobsta" roll when I am visiting Maine. 

My sister (like her whole family in Maine) does not like lobster and never eats it, but she likes the Lobster Dock, too.  Occasionally, very occasionally, she even orders fish.

I love lobster roll! One of my very favorite places started out serving a delicious lobster roll when they opened. A year later it's now "shrimp & lobster roll" at the same price, 60/40 shrimp/lobster :-( I still order it because the dressing is perfect, the bread fresh, but I do feel a bit cheated.  I looove the place, though. Best view of all the restaurants, great service, great drinks, bomb desserts. 

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

There's a great show on the Travel Channel called Bizarre Foods Delicious Destinations. It's currently in its 5th season. The OP's original post if in video format might be just as interesting to watch as this series.

The series interviews the chefs of exciting restaurants all around the world - how their popular dishes are made, the history and the reaction of the locals and tourists as they savor each bite.  

@truffle, I love that show, watch it all the time. I must confess I prefer the intl shows to the US ones, but enjoy them all.

One of my very favorite places only blocks from my house in LA was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and another was featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks, @Spurt :-)

I live close to a tourist area with high-dollar menus because of location, location, etc - looking out over the marina, the bay, etc. And when I lived in LA I lived close to the same types of places in Santa Monica. They over-charge because they can. Not all the time, but when I feel like splashing out I go to the places where I've had good food and good service.

The $45 included entree, a (cough) alcoholic beverage 😜, tax and tip on the water, so that wasn't just for the food. Drinks run $9-12 per here :-(

@Moonchilde

Oh yes an alcoholic beverage will raise the price (yep they run $9 to $15 heretoo) and  tax and tip will also add to the cost too.......not criticizing you, just thought you might have had a real special lunch .....special filet or lobster or something with a lucious dessert......And we do deserve to treat ourselves with something we like (be it lunch, clothes, jewelry, handbag, shoes etc etc)..................Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I love to eat at diners; wonder where they are??????????

Honored Contributor

No worries, @Spurt, I didn't take anything you said amiss. I don't spend that much often, which is why I was so annoyed at not liking it. I do plan to go whole hog tomorrow, though. 

My choices are the place with the lobster roll, great drinks, service & dessert, Indian food for much less, one of the small wharf restaurants with $30-35 lobster, or scampi with risotto at a place that waters their drinks ;-( There is another place that's $50 for 12 oz of lobster tail. I'm tempted, but that would be a very expensive lunch all told, so probably not.

Or Red Lobster, where I would love my lunch but have nooooo atmosphere and not near anything fun.

Honored Contributor

This was my b/d lunch. They also gave me a free cup of chowder and a free piece of berry cheesecake :-) I savored every bite! Under the lobsta is fresh veggies and risotto.

CCDCDCC0-FAF8-40E1-AE22-44EFB85C8B1D-12091-00002161B2FE1371.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I live in upstate NY and while we do have a lot of chain restaurants, we also have some family owned restaurants that have been around for decades.  One of our faves is an Italian restaurant called Little Venice.  It's sauce is renowned and they even started selling it in local grocery stores here.  My husband, who's Italian, LOVES pasta and pizza so we frequent this restaurant often.  One thing I love about it, besides the food, is the decor.  They have beautiful huge old portraits hanging all over the restaurant.  They also have autographed pictures of celebs who have visited the restaurant over the years.  They have a charming little shop at the front of the restaurant that sells many Italian articles and pasta and they have take-out gelato and frozen homemade pasta dishes.

We have quite a few little Italian restaurants that make excellent pizza.  We have some chinese restaurants but they are more the buffet type.  Not too many authentic Mexican places, which saddens me, since Mexican food is a favorite of mine. 

This is funny, but one of my actual favorite food items is the subs from our local Wegman's.  I think they're delicious and very reasonably priced.  

Our son, who moved to Cincinnati about 7 years ago, enjoys a wonderland of restaurants...and we so love going to visit him!  Honestly, I don't think we've EVER had a bad meal anywhere in Cincinnati!  They have such great places to eat, when we come home, we're a little depressed!!  But I think if we lived there, I'd probably gain 100 pounds in 6 months if we ate out all the time!!