Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite female historical figure?

@corita wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Well, since we're talking about historical figures, I'm thinking that means someone from history..not alive now.

There are so many, it's hard to pick one.

Right now, I'd say any woman who fought for justice, equality, and civil rights for any cause in her lifetime.

Doing that can be a very courageous act, especially when faced with violence.

History is made on a daily basis and does not require death.  TODAY is history in the making; tomorrow what happened on this date IS history.

---------------------------

Your post made me think of one of my favorite saying:

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift , which is why we call it the present.”
Bill Keane

Sorry!! Don't know why quote came out three times!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

So many women have contributed to heroic, and silent victories in every generation.

Sometimes  as civilization progresses we forget how hard it was to do anything as a woman.  Good grief, in the 1960's women still couldnt get loans in their own name, especially if they were married!!  

I admire Florence Nightengale as she changed nursing

harriet taubman was a fearless freedom fighter

Shirley Chisolm and bella Azburg were tigers who worked tirelessly for women

Fannie may townsend  is important.  She is the one who coined the phrase " I am sick and tired of being sick and tired"

I love Elenor Roosevelt and Michelle Obama for being kind, assessible  and eloquent first ladies.  So was Laura Bush...oh my I could go on and on.

@shoekitty, I knew Bella quite well because I worked for her Daughter Liz (for a long time).  Amazing women (both Mother and Daughter).

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Corrie Ten Boom

Clara Barton

Margaret Thatcher

Becky Hammon (first female coach in the NBA)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

My post was deleted because it was deemed to be controversial, not sure if the mod acted in haste or someone reported it! 

Hmmm. Two posts were removed for that reason. Someone can have a certain political signature that I just noticed in another thread , but you can't have a "controversial" favorite female historical figure? Scratch my head on that one.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21, true, true.

The moderators actually contacted several posters on Monday about their signatures but this one remains..hmmm.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Margaret Thatcher

Florence Nightingale

Queen Elizabeth 11