Valued Contributor

Re: Favorite donut shop and/or donuts?

@LilacTree wrote:

Keep in mind that Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme and others are franchises, which means they are only as good as the people who run them.  One may be scrupulously clean and follow the franchise's standards, while another may be the total opposite.  I'd rather go to the local bake shop, who have to depend on their reputation or they would fail.

I agree with the franchise statement especially when it comes to Dunkin' Donuts. I have yet to be disappointed in any trip to LaMar's which is why they are my favorite. Denver has one other franchise I like - Duffyroll Cafe. It is lighter fluffier cinnamon roll. 

IMG_0608.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ilovetea  My blood sugar and waistline are increasing just looking at the pictures of these scrumptious-looking treats.  I am indulging vicariously.

Honored Contributor

@rustee wrote:

Dunkin' Donuts (Massachusetts)

double chocolate and glazed chocolate donuts

(with hot chocolate in the winter!)

@rustee

Yikes.    I'm really surprised anyone still eats doughnuts anymore!   With all the problems with diabetes and obesity ....  doesn't anyone know how to eat nutritionally sound food?  Since when is an excess of sugar and fat considered a "treat"?   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@rustee wrote:

@rustee

Yikes.    I'm really surprised anyone still eats doughnuts anymore!   With all the problems with diabetes and obesity ....  doesn't anyone know how to eat nutritionally sound food?  Since when is an excess of sugar and fat considered a "treat"?   

Were you aware that there are less carbs in a donut than in two slices of whole wheat toast? Less carbs in a donut than a carton of light yogurt? Considerably less than in an 8 oz portion of a "healthy" fresh juice? The same as in an apple, a banana, or an orange? Half the carbs of a serving of healthy, hearty oatmeal?

Deciding to have a donut once in a while is not a horribly diabetic-unfriendly choice. Of course, you're assuming it would be half a dozen every day. I have no reason to assume that.

Educated diabetics do their homework 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@rustee wrote:

@rustee

Were you aware that there are less carbs in a donut than in two slices of whole wheat toast? Less carbs in a donut than a carton of light yogurt? Considerably less than in an 8 oz portion of a "healthy" fresh juice? The same as in an apple, a banana, or an orange? Half the carbs of a serving of healthy, hearty oatmeal?

Deciding to have a donut once in a while is not a horribly diabetic-unfriendly choice. Of course, you're assuming it would be half a dozen every day. I have no reason to assume that.

Educated diabetics do their homework 😜

Hmmm.  I'm not @Tinkrbl44 and I'm not diabetic or overweight, but it seems to me that you're comparing apples & oranges.  The carbs in donuts are just empty calories, while the carbs in oatmeal, whole wheat toast, or fruit are tied in with nutrients that our body needs.  So while I agree with you that an occasional donut isn't going to hurt anyone, I can't agree with your reasoning.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat them often, but like most of them. I do have a weakness for crullers. While I'm not a big fan of most 'cake' donuts, some of them are pretty good too.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Havent had one in a couple years.  We dont have a donut house very close.  But I do love those buttermilk bars or old fashioneds...without the icing.

Respected Contributor

sometimes i get cravings for DD Strawberry Coolatta and a Dunkin Donut.  the DD had a little bump out of dough to dunk in the coffee.   they rarely make the Dunkin Donut in most shops these days, so i ask for an Old-fashioned

Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I can't even eat a Krispy Kreme glazed donut, it's just so horrendously sweet. Tried it once and never again. 

I couldn't agree more, they are just awful !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a krispy kreme or dunkin donuts, locally. I do like those though, when we travel.

Here, we have a little hole in the wall donut shop and I could live on the apple fritters they serve. Thats why I only go there once or twice a year.....