Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods

@ROMARY wrote:

Baking biscotti and other cookies with my mom every Saturday.

Seriously, I can smell the aroma of anise seed and Anisette right now...............

We used to also make pasta from scratch.  She had some type of hand turning pasta cutter machine.  

Also, for lasagna, she had a small, hand held pasta cutter with zig-zag wheel.   

'Funny'.......... I love the scent of Anisette and anise.  I have always kept a small dish of star anise by my bedside.  

It's comforting.  And it 'dawned on me', only a few years ago, why I love the scent. 

@ROMARY 

Me, too!  I remember making pizzelles as a kid, one at a time, over the burner, with my uncle's pizzelle iron.  Used anisette, of course.

I just bought a tube of Dr. Bronner's anise toothpaste and I can't tell you how much I enjoy brushing my teeth.

And lately I've been devouring La Dolce Vita biscotti.  Why?  One of the ingredients is anise seed. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

image.png

image.png

image.png

Ring any bells?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

I have been thinking about this and wa stalking to husband.  We both remember  a favorite food was Swanson TV dinner  the fried chicken in the aluminum tray.  It was so special we only got it whe parents went out.  Lol.  The chicken was good and crispy, but omg it took forever to cook in the oven  it had chicken 2-3 pieces ...a wing, drumstick and maybe a thigh, then it had a section of mashed potatoes with a big pat of butter on it, and the final section was peas and carrots.  They cost like 29 cents  in those days you could almost buy 5 popsicles for that money. I think tey were 6 cenTs each Lol

@shoekitty 

image.png

I can't even imagine how many Swanson TV dinners I consumed as a kid.  My sister liked the fried chicken but my favorite was the lasagna.

image.png

Oh, the chopped spinach and Tortoni pudding!  And the burns on my tongue...

Respected Contributor

I was (and still am) a weirdo kid....I loved orange juice on my shredded wheat cereal. YUM

Honored Contributor

My mother waited tables and was a fabulous cook, but on her days off she took us to different restaurants all over Chicago.

I always ordered fish and seafood.  My family just assumed I was weird.

One of the best treats was a trip to the Loop and lunch at The Tartan Tray inside Carson Pirie Scott.

image.png

Another piece of personal history that is no more.

Honored Contributor

Many of the foods I enjoyed as a child are still favorites today.  Case in point: Peanut butter.  Can't live without it.

But be careful.  Sometimes we might be tempted to try a childhood favorite and it won't be quite the way we remember it.

My mother knew I liked fish so she would fry up a batch of smelt just for me.

Better-half and I recently found smelt in Albuquerque.  After hearing my smelt stories for 30 years, he bought the smelt and fried up a batch for me.

It just wasn't the same. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

Getting something from the Horn and Hardart Automat

True/Real egg cream soda from the soda fountain at the drug store

Penny candy behind the glass display at the soda shop

Candy Buttons/Dots on paper

Real knishes shops

Real bagels shops

Real deli's

Chuck Full o'nuts cream cheese sandwiches made with cream cheese and mixed with walnuts on whole wheat bread

Charlotte russe in a paper cup sold by the street in vendors

Fresh pretzels sold by vendors

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

Getting something from the Horn and Hardart Automat

True/Real egg cream soda from the soda fountain at the drug store

Penny candy behind the glass display at the soda shop

Candy Buttons/Dots on paper

Real knishes shops

Real bagels shops

Real deli's

Chuck Full o'nuts cream cheese sandwiches made with cream cheese and mixed with walnuts on whole wheat bread

Charlotte russe in a paper cup sold by the street in vendors

Fresh pretzels sold by vendors

@chiclets 

YES! Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee @shoekitty 

I remember those Swanson TV dinners! I loved them. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I was (and still am) a weirdo kid....I loved orange juice on my shredded wheat cereal. YUM

My mother would let me pick out the cereal, this was before we knew how bad sugar was for children also they had prizes in the box. I would get Lucky Charms, pick out all the marshmallows and leave the oats! Oh, get this, as if the sugar from the cereal wasn't enough, I would top my cereal with Lucky Whip (I guess a poor man's Reddi Wip). Those were good times!