Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods

@Jordan2 wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Hi C in the big cans. Only in the summer. They came in lots of flavors and we kept them down cellar to keep cool. i'm sure whatever BPA is my arteries were lined with it.

Ring Ding Jr.  i think they were wrapped in foil. i liked them better than the regular Ring Dings.

After school (HS) and  i know this is a blood sugar nightmare:  bottle of Dr.Pepper or Coke . Yodels (2pak)  or Devil Dogs (2) and a big bag of Wise  Barbecue potato chips. we ate dinner so late most days it was 7pm before we could eat a meal.

I remember taking the foil off the Ring Ding Jr and making it smooth! We would take the Yodels and unwind them, eating it layer by layer. Ate candy cigarettes and the wax bottles with some kind of liquid in it. Turkish Taffy, we would slam it and crack it. My goodness, I sure ate a lot of junk as a kid!

@Jordan2  do you remember the candy necklaces?        i would bite the candy off but then the necklace would get sticky on my neck.

Esteemed Contributor

Fried chicken, fried pork chops-  I don't usually fry things. Back then mom fried a lot of stuff.

My grannys biscuits, I wish I had the recipe. Those things were so good, whether they were hot or cold.

Respected Contributor

Mayonnaise sandwiches. They were my favorite lunch. I just had one the other day and relished it just as much as I ever did. Never liked bologna, cereal, Scooter Pies, or Hostess treats except for Twinkies. Twinkies ruled.

I'd think I just liked white fillings, except I hated Fluffernutters. Fluffernutters were just a sweet mess to me.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Hi C in the big cans. Only in the summer. They came in lots of flavors and we kept them down cellar to keep cool. i'm sure whatever BPA is my arteries were lined with it.

Ring Ding Jr.  i think they were wrapped in foil. i liked them better than the regular Ring Dings.

After school (HS) and  i know this is a blood sugar nightmare:  bottle of Dr.Pepper or Coke . Yodels (2pak)  or Devil Dogs (2) and a big bag of Wise  Barbecue potato chips. we ate dinner so late most days it was 7pm before we could eat a meal.

I remember taking the foil off the Ring Ding Jr and making it smooth! We would take the Yodels and unwind them, eating it layer by layer. Ate candy cigarettes and the wax bottles with some kind of liquid in it. Turkish Taffy, we would slam it and crack it. My goodness, I sure ate a lot of junk as a kid!

@Jordan2  do you remember the candy necklaces?        i would bite the candy off but then the necklace would get sticky on my neck.

@CatsyCline sure do remember candy necklaces. I also use to eat Sweet Tarts which my father didn't like us to eat for some reason.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@CatsyCline sure do remember candy necklaces. I also use to eat Sweet Tarts which my father didn't like us to eat for some reason.

oh i loved sweet tarts!     i liked tums but i got caught eating them and was told they were medicine.  when we used to go to the drive-in movies i would get  a big box of Night & Day licorice mix with gum drops.  For weeks after i would find loose gumdrops and whatnot in the back seat of the car.   i would eat those off the car floor they probably were covered in germy fuzzy lint.  bad sweet tooth and lots of dental work.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Tastykakes and fluffernutters.  Memories!!!  I still drool over them in the market though.  Smiley Tongue

@Laura14   Are these a southern treat? I never heard of them....I have lived on the west coast my entire life.

@SeaMaiden No I grew up in Jersey outside of Philadelphia.  Tastykake has been bought out but is still around.  They are snack cakes.  Fluffernutters are marshmallow and peanut butter sandwiches.  My grandmother loved them.  

Valued Contributor

Believe it or not, canned pudding. Weird. I don't think they make it anymore. I also love Hostess pies and candy of just about any sort. Cookies, ice cream... loved those orange push up things. Let's face it I was a sugar freak and still am!

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline  Hi-C, we drack this stuff too, and Tang!!  Honestly both of these were AWFUL!!! and probably really bad for us too!

Trusted Contributor

@SunSprite 

"The other big treat we would get, back before we had any other fast food places, was "Burger Chef". They had a little cardboard tray that held their version of a happy meal, before there were happy meals. After working (and playing!) on the farm all day in the country it was a big treat to get to stop there on the way home."

Loved Burger Chef!!!! (There was one located near me in Willow Grove PA). Their hamburgers, french fries and shakes were 15 cents! 

Respected Contributor

Pastine

Cream Cycles