Valued Contributor

Re: Favorite Childhood Foods

Weekend mornings meant "Freakies Cereal". I loved that stuff! I probably shouldn't admit this, but I still can sing the commercial jingle too. Also have one of the magnets that was a prize in the cereal box on my fridge! Shameful. Smiley Very Happy

The other big treat we would get, back before we had any other fast food places, was "Burger Chef". They had a little cardboard tray that held their version of a happy meal, before there were happy meals. After working (and playing!) on the farm all day in the country it was a big treat to get to stop there on the way home.

I also remember eating something called "Breakfast Squares", that were basically a chocolate type cake thing. But we didn't get those often.  

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sugar  Pops Cereals....the one "shot from guns"  and the original Cocoa Puffs.  The newer ones are awfu since the cut the bad ingredients and sugar.

Flav-0-straws

those marshmallow cookies.  They had Graham cookie on bottom, a big marshmallow on top,then dipped in chocolate

mountain bars

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Tastykakes and fluffernutters.  Memories!!!  I still drool over them in the market though.  Smiley Tongue

@Laura14   Are these a southern treat? I never heard of them....I have lived on the west coast my entire life.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@SuesCat   We'd do cream cheese and jelly on saltines, haven't done this in an age either!

Oh wait - I have all three right now! Heading to the kitchen!!!!

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@SuesCat   We'd do cream cheese and jelly on saltines, haven't done this in an age either!

Oh wait - I have all three right now! Heading to the kitchen!!!!

@PINKdogWOOD   Ohhh....yes, that sounds yummy!

Respected Contributor

Hi C in the big cans. Only in the summer. They came in lots of flavors and we kept them down cellar to keep cool. i'm sure whatever BPA is my arteries were lined with it.

Ring Ding Jr.  i think they were wrapped in foil. i liked them better than the regular Ring Dings.

After school (HS) and  i know this is a blood sugar nightmare:  bottle of Dr.Pepper or Coke . Yodels (2pak)  or Devil Dogs (2) and a big bag of Wise  Barbecue potato chips. we ate dinner so late most days it was 7pm before we could eat a meal.

Valued Contributor

Hostess chocolate (devil's food) cupcakes.

They don't taste the same now as they did when I was a kid. They probably removed all the more expensive, more tasty ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Buttered noodles. 

Honored Contributor

No one from Brooklyn who remembers Ebingers?

Honored Contributor

My favorite foods were:

Sloppy Joes (homemade by Mom)

French Fries (at Woolworth's counter)

Lamb chops

Pomengranate (I could hardly wait til fall)

corn beef sandwich from Flo's downtown Chicago

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Hi C in the big cans. Only in the summer. They came in lots of flavors and we kept them down cellar to keep cool. i'm sure whatever BPA is my arteries were lined with it.

Ring Ding Jr.  i think they were wrapped in foil. i liked them better than the regular Ring Dings.

After school (HS) and  i know this is a blood sugar nightmare:  bottle of Dr.Pepper or Coke . Yodels (2pak)  or Devil Dogs (2) and a big bag of Wise  Barbecue potato chips. we ate dinner so late most days it was 7pm before we could eat a meal.

I remember taking the foil off the Ring Ding Jr and making it smooth! We would take the Yodels and unwind them, eating it layer by layer. Ate candy cigarettes and the wax bottles with some kind of liquid in it. Turkish Taffy, we would slam it and crack it. My goodness, I sure ate a lot of junk as a kid!