Respected Contributor

Re: Fauci: I don't think we should shake hands 'ever again

[ Edited ]

@Venezia 

Bravo for your entire post to @jellyBEAN

I have been biting my tongue and staying away from my keyboard to keep from saying and asking what you did.  You did it much better than I could.

It doesn't take much internet searching to learn about Dr. Fauci's contributions to public health and groundbreaking drug research.  Good keywords to search might be "FAUCI AND AIDS"

Perhaps people don't recognize how many HIV-infected people are still alive today with help from his and his institute's research into appropriate treatment---not to mention educating the public about how it is transmitted and avoided.

When my second son was born prematurely, he needed a blood transfusion for a reason that I can't recall.  But shortly after that, the AIDS crisis became big news and the blood supply was possiby infected by HIV/AIDS donors selling their blood.

Anyone who had recently been given an infusion was possibly at risk.  Nothing bad happened with my son, but  the appearance and recognition of this new epidemic was a scary time for me and many others.

Honored Contributor

And, until there is a cure and/or vaccine, we should continue to observe social distancing.

So that would eliminate elbow bumps as well.

Why do people have to keep touching everyone?  I save that for those very close to me.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

I do think during flu season that not shaking hands is a good idea....but never again under any circumstances....that could be going to far.  I am hoping for better and more treatments plus a vaccine of some kind that would at least protect us from this.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I agree.  And I guess this will be the end of hugs and air-kisses on QVC.  Thankfully.

LOL you thinkWoman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer   Just want to tell you that I am right there with you on all of your posts here.

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Thank heavens!   I've been in too many public restrooms where people just skip the handwashing and run out the door.  I carry tissues in my pocket to open "those" doors.   Who raised these people anyway ... wolves? 

Raised by wolves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwMete-FqGg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

These predictions are always estimates, based on models that are an attempt to measure contagion in the context of public behavior. Those of us in NY state who are staying home, washing hands, etc. are helping to bring estimates down. If we slide, thinking that we can return to our old ways, the numbers will go up. It's that simple.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I never liked shaking hands anyway, ever.

I've even refused to shake the outstretched hands of doctors  and dentists who have entered the examining room of my father or myself.    I have ALWAYS wondered why they thought hand contact was necessary in the first place.

Having sold real estate for a long time, shaking hands was a norm that I had to grin and bear, but not necessarily like.

And hugging...........not much of a hugger, ever, myself.  Hope the practice disappears. 

You keep your germs, and I'll keep mine.  LOL!!

I agree with what  my sister said not too long ago........Where did this modern phrase of  "reaching out" come from and why all the hugging and kissing??

Makes one appreciate the MONK show!!  He was on to something I am thinkingWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I think there are two things at play here. 

There is health. There is the spread of germs. Handshakes even in the best of times do spread virus and germs, not to mention hugging and kissing and general touching and space sharing.

Then there is human contact. Different people have different needs for human contact. Some don't care to every feel the touch of another human, or are very selective about who's touch they do feel. Others need the support and compassion and strength of a touch, a hug, a hand shake, a hand on theirs in times of trouble, or in times of joy. 

I hope we don't go to the place where we make it 'normal' to have no physical contact with most people. The pat  of an elderly lady as she reaches for your hands in a conversation, the hug of an old friend when you run into each other at the grocery store, the respectful handshake when sealing a deal. 

I feel today's technology physically separates us, our busy lives often physically separate us, things like this virus physically separate us. Most humans need physical contact with other humans, and oftentimes the most supporting and healing touching comes from complete strangers, or those outside our most intimate circle. 

I personally hope we don't turn into a society that now finds it inappropriate, uncomfortable and unsafe.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

These predictions are always estimates, based on models that are an attempt to measure contagion in the context of public behavior. Those of us in NY state who are staying home, washing hands, etc. are helping to bring estimates down. If we slide, thinking that we can return to our old ways, the numbers will go up. It's that simple.

Agree; the reason numbers appear to be on track to be lower than expected is because even though social distancing -- and all the other restrictions-- were put into place, it wasn't expected that people would be obeying them like they have been.  Last night they said they didn't expect so many to cooperate, and that was why the estimates were higher.  

Now they just have to keep everyone on track.  Ending this quarantine too early and too fast will blow all the progress we have made.