Respected Contributor

Re: Fauci: I don't think we should shake hands 'ever again

@Lipstickdiva i think a lot depends on what time period you use, chronological year, span of flu season, etc.  and a lot of it is estimates and not strictly. documented so usually there is a range

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I think there are two things at play here. 

There is health. There is the spread of germs. Handshakes even in the best of times do spread virus and germs, not to mention hugging and kissing and general touching and space sharing.

Then there is human contact. Different people have different needs for human contact. Some don't care to every feel the touch of another human, or are very selective about who's touch they do feel. Others need the support and compassion and strength of a touch, a hug, a hand shake, a hand on theirs in times of trouble, or in times of joy. 

I hope we don't go to the place where we make it 'normal' to have no physical contact with most people. The pat  of an elderly lady as she reaches for your hands in a conversation, the hug of an old friend when you run into each other at the grocery store, the respectful handshake when sealing a deal. 

I feel today's technology physically separates us, our busy lives often physically separate us, things like this virus physically separate us. Most humans need physical contact with other humans, and oftentimes the most supporting and healing touching comes from complete strangers, or those outside our most intimate circle. 

I personally hope we don't turn into a society that now finds it inappropriate, uncomfortable and unsafe.

@Mominohio 

That's what I've been saying!

We, as human beings need  physical contact to thrive!

Our species always has.

I remember when I was in jr. high or high school, reading about how in WW2, a study was done on babies, to find something or another.

What stuck with me was that the babies were never talked to, picked up, held, or cuddled.

Do you know what happened to those babies?

They all died.

They died from a lack of physical contact.

We, as human beings, as a species, need physical contact in order to thrive.

I don't want to live in a world where we look back and remember when we use to physically touch each other.

That's not a world for me.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

There is health. There is the spread of germs. Handshakes even in the best of times do spread virus and germs, not to mention hugging and kissing and general touching and space sharing.

Then there is human contact. Different people have different needs for human contact. Some don't care to every feel the touch of another human, or are very selective about who's touch they do feel. Others need the support and compassion and strength of a touch, a hug, a hand shake, a hand on theirs in times of trouble, or in times of joy. 

I hope we don't go to the place where we make it 'normal' to have no physical contact with most people. The pat  of an elderly lady as she reaches for your hands in a conversation, the hug of an old friend when you run into each other at the grocery store, the respectful handshake when sealing a deal. 

I feel today's technology physically separates us, our busy lives often physically separate us, things like this virus physically separate us. Most humans need physical contact with other humans, and oftentimes the most supporting and healing touching comes from complete strangers, or those outside our most intimate circle. 

I personally hope we don't turn into a society that now finds it inappropriate, uncomfortable and unsafe.

@Mominohio 

Our species always has.

i remember when I was in jr. high or high school, reading about how in WW2, a study was done in babies, to find something or another.

What stuck with me was the babies were never talked to, picked up, held, or cuddled.

They all died.

I don't want to live in a world where we look back and remember when we use to physically touch each other.

You'll still be able to touch friends and family and lovers and pets. Just no more business handshakes. Which is fine with me. No one is going to stop hugging their kids.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i respect Dr Fauci, his years of experience and service - but he also said we would never feel secure without an HIV vaccine.  

@ms traditional - he's done great work on AIDS....early statements with a new disease change as we become more familiar with it. 

He needs to be more careful with his proclamations before he really KNOWS what he's talking about.  He needs to be careful with his words. People listen. And some believe. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a germaphobe so have never liked shaking hands,  but in business it's almost a requirement.   I would be thrilled if everyone stopped this greeting.   Let's do what the Japanese do ,  a little head bow,  I like that 😺

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio 

Our species always has.

i remember when I was in jr. high or high school, reading about how in WW2, a study was done in babies, to find something or another.

What stuck with me was the babies were never talked to, picked up, held, or cuddled.

They all died.

You'll still be able to touch friends and family and lovers and pets. Just no more business handshakes. Which is fine with me. No one is going to stop hugging their kids.

I'm not sure where the extremes here are helpful.  Extreme thinking seems very common here these days.

I'm good with no handshaking and hugging at work or by creepy guy next door or at the grocery.

But no one is suggesting we won't be able to touch our loved ones. 

QVC Customer Care

**closed for commenting**