Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fauci: I don't think we should shake hands 'ever again

[ Edited ]

I think he is wrong about "never" shaking hands again.

People will.

Just like he was wrong when he said "200,000 people will die!!!!!!!!" , when (at the time that he said it) we were not even at 10,000 here in the States, or at 50,000 globally.

People treat every word that this man says as gospel, like he can never be wrong.

Oh, and people will hug again too.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Even when we get a vaccine for this - there is no guarantee it will work for everyone anymore than flu vaccine does.  And then there are all the people who won't even get the vaccine - so we'll still have the contagion problem if it comes back in the fall.

So what is the problem with offering treatment to those who are dying - with the various drugs out there now?

What is a "clinical test" anyway?  We already know the side effects of the hydroxy drug - and we have ample people dying on which to test whether it could save their lives - so why not offer it to them?

What are we waiting for?  We can hardly wait til later to run a trial to "test" this drug for the virus on people who don't have the virus - so what does "waiting for clinical trials" even mean?

Once people are having breathing difficulties, there seems to be little else offered  than a ventilator - which isn't working well apparently - so why not offer the drug?  What is the problem - other than resistance to the one who is touting it? 

Respected Contributor

I'm good with that.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I have to laugh at the digs being hurled at "big pharma"..........What other companies have the staffed laboratories, scientists,  and production  capacity to develop and supply the drugs that we need?

Seems to me we need "bigger pharma" in this country.........not everyone loves being dependent on China to produce things that make us well or save our lives.

@novamc1 

We need BETTER, more HONEST pharmacies this country. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could live without shaking hands and I'm not really a hugger either so if that went away to it would be good. 

I will not be doing elbow bumps because I think they're just stupid...

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

Gee is he finally admitting that deaths from influenza - which still greatly outnumber this virus - are actually a problem (of course not one worth shutting down the country for, but still)?

He has never said they weren't. He just doesn't want people to make false comparisons.

And influenza has been with us for years. This virus has been with us for months. Most of us are in our homes and not exposed, which we don't do in flu season. Comparing data like the number of deaths now is artificial and pointless.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

Gee is he finally admitting that deaths from influenza - which still greatly outnumber this virus - are actually a problem (of course not one worth shutting down the country for, but still)?

He has never said they weren't. He just doesn't want people to make false comparisons.

And influenza has been with us for years. This virus has been with us for months. Most of us are in our homes and not exposed, which we don't do in flu season. Comparing data like the number of deaths now is artificial and pointless.

Yes I know, however it still seems odd to me that something for which we have a vaccine - and treatment - and yet which still resulted in 80,000 deaths last year - was nothing to shut the country down for - despite its also being spread by handshaking, public contact, etc. - and yet this - with far less deaths - is. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Let’s just bow like the Japanese.  I’m good with that.

Respected Contributor

i do hope this is the end of the fake Hollywood-y  "air kiss."   good riddance.  

Respected Contributor

There goes "Sharing of the Peace" in many churches. Ours did a neat sign language of peace. Something like placing your palms together opposite directions, raising them up like praying and smoothing out. I liked that better than hand shaking.