Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fauci: I don't think we should shake hands 'ever again

Maybe white gloves like we wore back in the day will come back. Both men and women used to wear gloves for exactly that reason: to avoid skin-to-skin contact when shaking hands. Men abandoned that custom in the late 19th - early 20th century as hand washing became more prevalent but women continued to wear gloves up to the early 1960s. 

What I would like to see end (and not only on the Q) is the relatively modern custom of hugging everyone as a form of greeting. Hugs should be reserved only for intimate relationships and immediate family. 

Respected Contributor

I never liked shaking hands anyway, ever.

I've even refused to shake the outstretched hands of doctors  and dentists who have entered the examining room of my father or myself.    I have ALWAYS wondered why they thought hand contact was necessary in the first place.

Having sold real estate for a long time, shaking hands was a norm that I had to grin and bear, but not necessarily like.

And hugging...........not much of a hugger, ever, myself.  Hope the practice disappears. 

You keep your germs, and I'll keep mine.  LOL!!

I agree with what  my sister said not too long ago........Where did this modern phrase of  "reaching out" come from and why all the hugging and kissing??

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

Gee is he finally admitting that deaths from influenza - which still greatly outnumber this virus - are actually a problem (of course not one worth shutting down the country for, but still)?

I think people forget that there are vaccines for the flu; granted some years are more effective than others.  Yet there is a vaccine which prevents or at least lessens the severety of the flu.  I wonder how many of the people who have serious complications from the flu have been vaccinated.  I know some cannot, but others choose not to.

Unfortunately, with this virus, a vaccine is not yet an option.  So I don't think you can really compare the two illnesses or situations.

Just an FYI - less than half of the US population get the flu shot each year.  Many who do get the shot have complications. And the effectiveness is never 100%

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I totally agree with him and have thought this for a while. Every time I shake hands with someone, I feel like I need to wash my hands. I think we should make a cultural shift away from hand shaking. Many Asian cultures just bow or nod. I am perfectly ok with that.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

i respect Dr Fauci, his years of experience and service - but he also said we would never feel secure without an HIV vaccine.  

Honored Contributor

Well think how dirty most peoples hands are, so it is  maybe a good thing ,not to shake, up to each of us,and clean your hands when out eating ,before you eat, carry wipes with you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I can live without shaking hands!  Many cultures don't.  

Fauci is the best public voice we have.  If he gets run off we'll be stuck with fantasy island.

Exactly - despite his predictions being off  and off again and off again - and by a significant magnitude.  But who cares - he's the "expert."

Agree....look a his "prophecy" on AIDS years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Now I know why all the Korean people bow..........

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is that Dr Fauci is the one individual I trust. He tells the truth. When others spin their tales, he is straight with us. Americans know the difference between happy talk and reality.

Honored Contributor

Shaking hands is just not necessary, it's time to find an alternative, or just say hello. It's not a big deal.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan