Respected Contributor

Re: Fauci: I don't think we should shake hands 'ever again

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

Gee is he finally admitting that deaths from influenza - which still greatly outnumber this virus - are actually a problem (of course not one worth shutting down the country for, but still)?

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I can live without shaking hands!  Many cultures don't.  

Fauci is the best public voice we have.  If he gets run off we'll be stuck with fantasy island.

Exactly - despite his predictions being off  and off again and off again - and by a significant magnitude.  But who cares - he's the "expert."

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have to laugh at the digs being hurled at "big pharma"..........What other companies have the staffed laboratories, scientists,  and production  capacity to develop and supply the drugs that we need?

Seems to me we need "bigger pharma" in this country.........not everyone loves being dependent on China to produce things that make us well or save our lives.

Trusted Contributor

I am not fond of shaking hands anyway so this could be a good thing.  I wasn't a germophone before but I sure am now.

I prefer to keep my hugging to people I love.  So ths could be a very good thing.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I have to laugh at the digs being hurled at "big pharma"..........What other companies have the staffed laboratories, scientists,  and production  capacity to develop and supply the drugs that we need?

Seems to me we need "bigger pharma" in this country.........not everyone loves being dependent on China to produce things that make us well or save our lives.

@novamc1 

Pluses and minuses to them.  But it's pretty unlikely that a vaccine will just appear without them.

But that's another thread.

Respected Contributor

I am sure later people will get back to shaking hands! Smiley Sad

I am a hugger and missing that right now!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry - but with all due respect.....I think he should retire. He's just too over the top riduculous. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you. Not only would it be good to prevent coronavirus disease; it probably would decrease instances of influenza dramatically in this country," the doctor added.

====================================================

ITA!  I just couldn't agree more!  I have a PT job dealing with the public and usually see the same people everyday.  Two men in particular always want to shake my hand when they see me.  For what???  Geesh!  And what's worse is, one of them can't keep his hands off me ... a handshake, a back rub, a neck massage.  Before the shutdown, I'd told te receptionist to warn me when he arrives so I could go hide.  I call him "Mr. Touchy-Feely". 

Then, there's there "cultural" thing with my co-workers;  daily fist-bumps, hand-slaps, and hugs (PLEEZE!  WHY must I "hug" you when I see you everyday?)

While I was standing in line at Costco, I saw 2 men fist-bump eachother with gloves on!

Then, there are the people who go to work sick.

Sharing office phones when you're sick, hugging when you're sick, hand-shakes when you're sick ... No thanks!

Good riddance!

@RinaRina, I hope you realize that you should not tolerate a “back rub” or “neck rub” from any man in your workplace EVER.  That is blatant sexual harassment.

Instead of hiding, if and when this man repeats this behavior, 

I would stand up, face him down, and simply state “Please stop touching me.  It makes me feel very uncomfortable.”  

At this point, if he challenges you, simply state “Behavior like yours is against the law.”

Have you spoken to management at your company about this?  I would personally attempt to stop this myself, but I would not hesitate to go to management if he tries to continue this behavior.  It is wrong, demeaning, and illegal.

Honored Contributor

"EVER" is a long, long time, so even though I think I understand why the doctor makes this recommendation, I suspect many people already are and/or will ignore him.

I don't know what I will do except that for quite a while I will neither proffer a handshake nor accept an outstretched hand.  I don't need another person in my immediate circle to suffer this virus nor even any other. I can't measure my actions by just the death count -  some of those who survive Covid-19 this time may be the weak when/if the second wave hits.  Giving up a handshake feels like one of the easiest actions I can take to contribute to a safer environment.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Gee is he finally admitting that deaths from influenza - which still greatly outnumber this virus - are actually a problem (of course not one worth shutting down the country for, but still)?

I think people forget that there are vaccines for the flu; granted some years are more effective than others.  Yet there is a vaccine which prevents or at least lessens the severety of the flu.  I wonder how many of the people who have serious complications from the flu have been vaccinated.  I know some cannot, but others choose not to.

Unfortunately, with this virus, a vaccine is not yet an option.  So I don't think you can really compare the two illnesses or situations.