Trusted Contributor

Re: Father of face biter on dr phil

Actually symptoms of schizophrenia usually don't start showing until around is age. If the parents are being truthful and he only started acting strange in the past few months I could see them not realizing how sick he may actually be. He was attending FSU and was probably only home for the summer. It is extremely hard to get the right diagnosis, care or even a new patient appointment in that short of time frame. Also, it would probably require baker acting him which is only good for 3 days. It is a tragedy but even with the affordable care act, mental illness is neglected but you can get a sex change...mental healthcare is at the bottom of the list.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Father of face biter on dr phil

@september wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

For the father to be on a national television show so soon makes me wonder.  Did the parents know that some day their son would be doing something awful and they were prepared to offer damage control?  If so, then why didn't they have him locked up somewhere in a place that works with individuals like that. 

Depending on which state you live in...it's not easy to get conservatorship of another person, even a relative.  Without that...you can't just"lock someone up" against their will.

I agree, it isn't easy in some states. I do think his parent realized he had a problem and were trying their best to help. It is difficult to do that though, especially when they are over 18.

I really feel bad for this father. Of course I feel badly for everyone involved especially the victims. His mother did call the police that night and said he was acting erratically and she was worried he would harm himself or someone else. The police had trouble subduing him and that is one sign of flakka, users supposedly have super human strength. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK