Honored Contributor

When my kids were in elementary school they had both father/daughter & mother /son dances for a few years. I remember when my daughter was in 3rd grade my husband told me when they came home that his ""date"" kept running away from him and hanging out with her friends.

He mostly hung out with the other dads and I think they all had a fun evening.

It was the same when I went with my son. He was 8 or 9 years old and ran around the gym with his buddies. He might have danced one or two dances with me.

Super Contributor

Never lived where they had such things but I don't think it's "creepy". Have to ask why they have these dances though. Embarrassing for those who don't have a Dad (or a Mom if it's a mother/son dance). As for causing women to date older men, I very much doubt that. There are many reasons why that happens and I think none of them have anything to do with dancing. I always dated (and married) older men. They seemed so mature and confident when I was younger. Gave me a sense of security and I found them far more interesting and wise than men my own age.

Respected Contributor

I can't agree they are creepy!

My dad belonged to a couple organizations that held father/daughter dances.

I loved them and so did most of us. It was special.

We put on a show along with the dance. My neighbor and I did singing and dancing to the song "High Hopes." You know, the ant and the rubber tree plant!

It was sweet.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Valued Contributor

When our sons and our daughter wer grades 4-9, they attended cotillion. Parents came on the last of the season and both parents danced with the kid and each other. Smile These were fun.

When I was a girl, our family ate at the Officer's Club on Sunday nights. It was family night and there was a band. We danced with our dad. And Mother danced with him too.

Respected Contributor

I don't find father/daughter dances crazy at all. When our daughter was a girl scout I remember them going to one. Not really my husbands kind of thing to do, but did it because he loves our daughter. They both had fun. It was special one on one night for them. I love the bond my husband has with both our girls. He spends a lot of time with each of them. One is now married, and not to an older man, and our other has been dating the same guy now for over two years and he's not an older man either. That was just a crazy statement. We don't have sons so I can't comment on the mother/son dances.

Super Contributor
On 3/17/2015 petepetey said:
On 3/17/2015 terrier3 said:

When my son went to a private Catholic boys' high school, they had a mother-son dance.

He thought it was weird and refused to go!

Do you think mother-son dances are more rare?

I do.

Super Contributor
On 3/17/2015 hyacinth003 said:

We put on a show along with the dance. My neighbor and I did singing and dancing to the song "High Hopes." You know, the ant and the rubber tree plant!

It was sweet.

Some of what has been described here sounds really nice but the part that really icks me out is those highly conservative Christian groups (almost cults) that have this special occasion for the father to dance with the daughter and vows to guard her virginity. EEEEEK! I think that's taking a really skeevy fixation to the sxx life (if any) of your minor daughter.

And it's especially icky because I've never heard of the same thing for mothers to do to their sons.

I saw something on television about this kind of thing a while back and I think the father would give the daughter a bracelet or something as a pledge....and, really, if you wait to do this till your kid is 15 or 16, there might not be any virginity left to "guard".

And I just noticed that as downright weird and odd as the Sister Wives group is, I've never seen Kody get that involved in his children's sxx lives--but then, he's got 4 women to dump that responsibility onto.

Super Contributor
My grandson's Catholic school has a mother/son dance and a father/daughter softball game for 8th grade students.....at different times during the year ............... I don't think that it is creepy......the dances are light hearted......more line dancing, the Texas 2 step..........jeans and t-shirts with pizza afterwards.......no dimmer lights or slow dancing........I think it started at 6 pm and everyone was home after several hours........the softball game is on a Saturday afternoon with a BBQ cookout after............kids could bring another adult if a parent wasn't able to come.............on one hand it is good to have family activities but I am sensitive to children who have challenges in that area.............my own Dad worked all the time when my sister and I were in school and probably only attended our graduations from high school from what I can remember.....our world today makes it difficult to cover all bases when we are trying to do anything.............I don't think that most try to exclude or offend anyone but it happens........even when we try our best not to.
Honored Contributor

I spent most of my life in Southern California and never even HEARD of these until I was out of high school. Neither the Catholic schools I attended nor the public schools ever had these. To me they are very outdated.

Respected Contributor
On 3/21/2015 Stella Dallas said:
On 3/17/2015 hyacinth003 said:

It was sweet.

Some of what has been described here sounds really nice but the part that really icks me out is those highly conservative Christian groups (almost cults) that have this special occasion for the father to dance with the daughter and vows to guard her virginity. EEEEEK! I think that's taking a really skeevy fixation to the sxx life (if any) of your minor daughter.

And it's especially icky because I've never heard of the same thing for mothers to do to their sons.

I saw something on television about this kind of thing a while back and I think the father would give the daughter a bracelet or something as a pledge....and, really, if you wait to do this till your kid is 15 or 16, there might not be any virginity left to "guard".

And I just noticed that as downright weird and odd as the Sister Wives group is, I've never seen Kody get that involved in his children's sxx lives--but then, he's got 4 women to dump that responsibility onto.

There was no virginity or secks talk.

It was just sweet. When I grew up, almost all girls had a father in their life. So, there was nothing weird about it.

I wish it was still the case. We'd be better off for it.

Hyacinth