Honored Contributor

Re: Father and toddler kicked off a plane

@ID2wrote:

I'm soooooo glad I don't fly!!!

Me too, but it isn't in my budget anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to love to fly. Now I hate to fly. The environment surrounding flights is simply awful. People are treated like cattle. Attendants are asked to do the impossible while customers are squeezed into seats best suited to chihuahuas. There’s just so much that customers can take. Instead of flying several times each year, I avoid air travel like the plague.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

The wee girl was a bit frightened, and her dad asked for a minute ,or two ,to calm her down. Instead they were kicked off the flight

It seems they could have waited a couple of minutes ,and given her a cracker or something ,to see if it would work...Smiley Sad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5509665/Southwest-Airlines-kicks-father-toddler-daughter-fli...

@cherry

Sorry, but this toddler was reported as "too scared to fly".  If the child isn't properly prepared for new experiences, this is the parent's fault .....   don't downplay it by saying "the tyke was a little frightened".   Many kids are just too young to travel by air, and shouldn't be allowed on the plane!

There's few things more exasperating than being on a flight with a screaming child.   The airline was right to get them off the plane.  The comfort of the other passengers should be considered, as well.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The other passangers stuck up for the child

Esteemed Contributor

I fly quite bit and it is stressful, from the time you arrive to security and boarding and it only becomes less stressful when you are in the air.

No one is saying that this child in particular was an animal. She may have calmed down because she was getting off of the plane. The pilot whose job is to see that things smoothly made a judgement call.  As others have stated, it's about safety and schedule.

Also, a father and child being placed on another flight does not and cannot be compared at all to a defenseless animal being placed in an overhead bin w/no oxygen.  That is a reaching comparison.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@steviebwrote:

Sad to say, in the post 911 environment, the 'friendly skies' no longer exist on any level... It is what it is...

I hear what you are saying @stevieb but this shouldn't be the case.  Greed has ruined the airline industry and we are all paying for it.

Airlines have egregiously taken advantage of what was given them post 9/11 and have run with it.  Ridiculous baggage fees for starters.  But there are the internals that passengers may not see.  United was a terrific carrier before they merged with Continental and it's been bedlam ever since.  Poor coordination of merging their reservation systems was just the appetizer.  Morale at that once great airline has pretty much disintegrated to nothing.  Who on Gods green earth would think stuffing a puppy in the overhead was the right thing to do?

Now we have Southwest another well run airline but is suffering through the "we have to get this plane in the air" syndrome.  Flights slots are overbooked so if you have even the slightest of delays, back to the end of the line you go.  This is crazy as it's great for the bottom line and shareholders but is a nightmare for the folks just trying to get somewhere and paying high fares for the privilege of sitting there witnessing these atrocities.

Crazy.  And in my opinion, wrong.

@eta:  Sorry meant to add I agree with @sahmlam that we need more information regarding this incident and yes I agree with those that have had the pleasure of having your seat kicked through the whole flight (although I have to say my worst experience was with a large and petulant six foot plus male who wanted to be seated in the exit row).

Esteemed Contributor

@cherrywrote:

The other passangers stuck up for the child

While they may have stuck up for the child at the moment, they are not responsible for what may have happened next. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would rather be by a whimpering child ,than a nasty drunk, any day of the week

Respected Contributor

Airlines can’t win today.  

I’m glad I’ve never run into any issues when flying.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforrealwrote:

I fly quite bit and it is stressful, from the time you arrive to security and boarding and it only becomes less stressful when you are in the air.

No one is saying that this child in particular was an animal. She may have calmed down because she was getting off of the plane. The pilot whose job is to see that things smoothly made a judgement call.  As others have stated, it's about safety and schedule.

Also, a father and child being placed on another flight does not and cannot be compared at all to a defenseless animal being placed in an overhead bin w/no oxygen.  That is a reaching comparison.

@qbetzforreal

Thank you!  No harm came to the child.

I wish I could say the same about the atrocious and inhumane treatment of that dog.  THAT burns me up.