Honored Contributor

Father and toddler kicked off a plane

The wee girl was a bit frightened, and her dad asked for a minute ,or two ,to calm her down. Instead they were kicked off the flight

It seems they could have waited a couple of minutes ,and given her a cracker or something ,to see if it would work...Smiley Sad

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5509665/Southwest-Airlines-kicks-father-toddler-daughter-fli...

Honored Contributor

Re: Father and toddler kicked off a plane

They can't wait a couple of minutes because it holds up other flights in multiple patterns, at multiple ports.

Southwest is one of the few airlines I fly with and I'm a bit surprised so...I'm going to wait until the smoke clears and get all sides of the story. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must confess, I am feeling a bit dishearten by everything I am reading about the airlines. Yesterday a puppy  died because  of the conditions it was kept under

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that puppy story is heartbreaking. There again, so many questions because so many different versions are out there.

Flying is NOT what is once was. Nope. Not. At. All.

Honored Contributor

That is what my son says, and he is a frequent flier.

Esteemed Contributor

It’s sad that there is no patience or compassion anymore!! I worry where we’re heading as a society!!

Honored Contributor

I'm soooooo glad I don't fly!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  True -  and when the statistics are published, there's no asterik that tells us the delay could have been to accommodate a child or even a heart attack.

I don't think there's an easy call.  So far I haven't seen a detail telling us how long the toddler was crying, describing her actions, etc.  Hate to say this, but I'm close to totally intolerate of toddlers who stand up in their seats or kick the back of the seat in front of them, and so forth  - and I know toddlers have minds of their own.  I do give them a bit of leeway -  no matter what they do, I'm probab;ly not thinking they're nearly as rude as the adult talking o his/her phone loud enough for half the plane to hear!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  It's not really about patience or compassion; it's about safety and schedules.

I've flown so much it's not funny. The difference today (among other things) is the flights are SO packed and the flight schedule SO tight that seconds in delay affect not only the flight you're on, but ALL the flights behind you PLUS all the flights WAITING on you at the next destination. It's the domino effect.

There is also the safety issue. What if she got up and didn't stay during take-off and was injured? Or another person was injured because of her actions? LAWSUIT. Airlines can't risk that. If the person is unable to settle down and buckle in as needed in the time given, the airlines has to make a decision and it's to remove you.

If I'm on a plane and because someone is nervous and can't settle so there is a delay and then I miss MY connecting flight...who fixes that? Me, that's who. Is that fair to me? To the other passengers? To the place/people waiting for me at the other end?

See, it's not just 'Oh, they're so mean". There's much more it in a situation like this if it's like anything I've been through when flying.

Respected Contributor

I read the article ...

Once the plane was cleared for departure, the pilot has ONE choice = depart!

However, when the flt attendant told the pilot there was still a problem, at that point, since the father and daughter caused the delay, the pilot decided the  problem should  be off the plane.  The girl became calm after the fact.  It was too late.  The delay was already in progress and the pilot had already made the decisionn to turned back.

Remember, you're not in a car, at a stop light.  You're at the airport in Chicago of all places.

There are OVER 2,000 flights a day in & out of O'Hare.  You can't disrupt the WHOLE flight system all over the world for one kid.

I remember years ago, being on a flight with an intoxicated, disruptive passenger.  When the plane stopped at O'Hare, the flt attendant asked the man to leave.  He refused because he'd fallen  asleep and said he was "okay".  Too bad!  Too late!

Once the decision is made - that's it.  You just can't make 100 other people on a plane miserable just because you're drunk .. or you've got some kid that you as a parent can't manage.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."