Trusted Contributor

Re: Fastest way to get the smell of gasoline out of my house?

@ROMARY wrote:

If there is a pilot light water heater or furnace in your garage, I'd be very careful and be sure to leave the garage door open.  I believe just the odor (gasoline molecules) can travel to the open flame and could start a fire and/or explode.  Not completely sure, but I think that's what someone told me many years ago.    Try using kitty litter to 'cover' the gasoline stain/odor.  Which would eliminate (or at least, cover) some of those gasoline molecules/odor. 

Romary, you are correct and conjured up a really bad memory that happened to a friend's child many years ago. She stored gas in an area that also housed a gas hot water heater. Her little girl was playing in that area when a fire broke out and caused third degree burns over much of her body.

The child went through untold agony and the mother never forgave herself. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to store gasoline in home garages, in the sunshine, and in car trunks.  They could leak, or tip over, as what happened to O/P.  Better to buy gasoline as needed at a service station; pumped directly into our cars.   I'm only guessing that folks who need small amounts of gasoline for their gardening tools/machines/mowers usually store them in separate gardening sheds, away from their homes.

Mine have always been outside.

Honored Contributor

@makeup addict   Sorry for the late response.  I'm not here so often anymore.  The twins are doing great and will be heading my way in a few days!