Respected Contributor

Fastest way to get the smell of gasoline out of my house?

Hi,

The gas can in my garage overflowedand then the 50 mile an hour winds from a storm blew the fumes in my house. I've cleaned up the spill, removed the gas can and opened every window in the house plus running the exhaust fans, air conditioner, hood fan over stove, etc.. it's been over two hours and it's still strong fumes. Any ideas as to how to get rid of the fumes?? 

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Fastest way to get the smell of gasoline out of my house?

Eek!  I think you're doing everything you can.  It will just take time.

this happened in a car my husband gave to his son, and there was direct spillage of gas into the trunk area, from a gas can that tipped over.  The smell eventually dissipated.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks September. I kept Abby outside as long as I could. I know it can't be healthy to breathe in the fumes, but There's not another option. It's better, but still strong. My neighbors across the street could smell it!! Ugh

off to bed. Gotta get up in six hours.  How are you doing? I know you have a lot on your plate. Hope the twins are doing well. 

Honored Contributor

It's going to take more than a stove exhaust fan.

Keep the garage door open, you need a bigger fan.

Those fumes are very flammable.

@makeup addict

Trusted Contributor

@makeup addict

I had a similar problem just this week. My old car's gas tank has a leak and I could smell it throughout the house. I have little birds AND dogs so I had to get the smell out fast.

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought the cheap cat litter and spread it over the spill. It worked because the smell went away.

I plan to remove the litter and scrub the area with Dawn. The cat litter absorbed the gas smell!

Honored Contributor

That has to be the worst smell to try and get rid of.  I wonder if the product Odo Ban would work?

I was mowing my lawn yesterday and was trying to fill my mower with gas. The can leaked and gas spilled all over my hands.  I can still smell the gas on my hands and I've used everything I can think of to wash them. 

Honored Contributor

As far as your hands, tooth paste will remove the smell.  Believe it or not.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If there is a pilot light water heater or furnace in your garage, I'd be very careful and be sure to leave the garage door open.  I believe just the odor (gasoline molecules) can travel to the open flame and could start a fire and/or explode.  Not completely sure, but I think that's what someone told me many years ago.    Try using kitty litter to 'cover' the gasoline stain/odor.  Which would eliminate (or at least, cover) some of those gasoline molecules/odor. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

contact your local fire department, they may have large exhaust fans you may be able to use to help clear the fumes out of the house. 

Honored Contributor

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to store gasoline in home garages, in the sunshine, and in car trunks.  They could leak, or tip over, as what happened to O/P.  Better to buy gasoline as needed at a service station; pumped directly into our cars.   I'm only guessing that folks who need small amounts of gasoline for their gardening tools/machines/mowers usually store them in separate gardening sheds, away from their homes.