Respected Contributor

Re: Fast food employs robots or kiosks to lower employee costs

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

@proudlyfromNJ

I am so with you on those self serve lines which I pretty much use if I am in a hurry and there are long lines and I realize I am feeding the beast so to speak . . . grrrrr.

And while I am at it, don't get me started on those outrageous ATM fees (please know I only use in-network ATM's but I find the whole thing about charging fees for an automated transaction that saves the banks $$$ because you are not using a teller/person obscene) . . . Smiley Sad

@momtochloe, I agree about the ATM fees.  So, you know what I did?  I no longer use a debit card.  Guess what?  I don't miss it.. 

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sunshine Kate

@proudlyfromNJ

I am so with you on those self serve lines which I pretty much use if I am in a hurry and there are long lines and I realize I am feeding the beast so to speak . . . grrrrr.

And while I am at it, don't get me started on those outrageous ATM fees (please know I only use in-network ATM's but I find the whole thing about charging fees for an automated transaction that saves the banks $$$ because you are not using a teller/person obscene) . . . Smiley Sad

@momtochloe, I agree about the ATM fees.  So, you know what I did?  I no longer use a debit card.  Guess what?  I don't miss it.. 

@Sunshine Kate to be honest I only use my debit card to get quick cash at my bank but I wanted to circumvent people telling me to stay in network to avoid those awful fees . . . I am not against automation but I am against automation which can make life more difficult for customers/consumers but brings more profits at our overall expense.

Trusted Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

This is quickly becoming the new norm. I prefer a person over a robot, but I realize my preference means nothing.

Your individual preference may, in your mind, mean nothing......but, the individual preferences of many individuals, as an aggregate, may mean something if you take your money and spend it elsewhere. Psycho babble phrases:  "the new normal"  or how about this one "nothing to see here, move along"  Don't succumb to fatalism.

Honored Contributor

there were/are a lot of small fast food owners telling anyone that was listening: "if they are forced to raise their minimum wage, prices would go up and jobs would be lost".  

for those that believed them this is not a surprise. for those that turned a deaf ear? hello!

hnj

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it speeds up the order process and improves accuracy at restaurants, I'm all for it!  

I don't like the way my neighborhood Walmart has the self service lines.  They are so slow and usually just have two cashiers on duty with long lines.  I feel like there should be a special discount since I'm checking myself out, but the prices aren't any better than other local stores.

On a separate note, a couple of years ago an assistant principal working on his PhD told me a prominent theory is to phase out teachers and replace them with online programs and just have low salaried tech support people in the classrooms.  The thought is to have one educator set up and monitor tutorials for hundreds of students, so the schools save money in the long run because they won't have to hire as many teachers.  I said I hope I don't see that in my lifetime, but he replied it will be here within 10 years.  They're already working to ensure all classrooms are 1:1 with iPads or laptops, so he may be right.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I think this technology would have been implemented whatever the economic climate.  It is the future of doing business.

i disagree. customers prefer dealing with real/live humans in the restaurant business. technology advances?  yes, but they would leave the human option, just like self checkout in many stores. 

being forced to pay a much higher minimum wage might change many of this businesses into  Ai only service. no surprise to me. 

hnj

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

In my town, the voice that takes the order at the drive-through is the same person that takes your payment and/or hands you your food.

Same here.  I know because I can hear the transaction from the counter where I'm placing my to go order.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

At my Lowes and Home Depot sometimes only the self service machines are open with one employee running around to offer assistance if there is a problem.

Also, my local CVS has one cashier, but they tell you to go to the self service and give help if needed. They will only do your purchases of you insist.

I refuse to use a self service check out line.  Only if I get a discount.  

I was at Wal Mart once, and there was a long line for the self checkout with cashiers standing around waiting for a customer.  Stores have trained us well to start avoiding the humans.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I think this technology would have been implemented whatever the economic climate.  It is the future of doing business.

Up to a point that's true, but government at every level is making it harder to hire someone, and we're following Europe's example by making it harder to fire bad workers, too.  Computers do go down, and productivity suffers.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

This is how cars have been made for a long time now...same thing with coal mining.

A mine that needed 100 workers in 1980 now needs 10-15 workers. Newer techniques (like mountain top removal mining) have eliminated thousands of jobs and helped the corporations' bottom line.

Technology  being utilized by fast food has little to nothing to do with the minimum wage. Have you ever noticed in a drive thru lane that the voice that asks for your order  isn't the same as the person who delivers it? That voice is automated and has been for years.

i haven't been thru a fast food restaurant in decades, but i do understand the business. if you think minimun wage has "little to nothing" to do with increased prices and humans losing jobs?  dream on!

hnj

hckynut(john)