Trusted Contributor

Fast Food Drive-Thru is Thriving in Our Town

I just returned from the grocery store.  There was a line of about 10 cars at Culver's.  Two cars were waiting on the street as the drive thru lane on Culver's property was full.  A little way down the street, the same story at Dairy Queen.  Full line on DQ property and two waiting on a VERY BUSY street.  

I am eating at home more, because I just don't know about how stringent some of these places are about checking workers for temps before they go to work, etc., and how many different people handle your food before you get it.  So, the lines were kind of a surprise to me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: Fast Food Drive-Thru is Thriving in Our Town

@wismiss 

Discovered Culver's when we were in FL this winter: love their cod sandwiches!   Wish we had them at home.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz, I do go to Culver's, too, but have kind of cut the frequency down with the pandemic.  I LUV their Chicken Cashew salad with the ginger-sesame dressing,  And, their shrimp basket is very good, too.  Nice big shrimp.  I don't get the fries---I get their steamed broccoli and their cole slaw.  The broccoli is a nice sized portion and their cole slaw is good.  I also like their cod dinner on Friday nights and substitute the broccoli and pay extra for the slaw.  Funny thing-----I don't eat their burgers.  

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@jlkz, I do go to Culver's, too, but have kind of cut the frequency down with the pandemic.  I LUV their Chicken Cashew salad with the ginger-sesame dressing,  And, their shrimp basket is very good, too.  Nice big shrimp.  I don't get the fries---I get their steamed broccoli and their cole slaw.  The broccoli is a nice sized portion and their cole slaw is good.  I also like their cod dinner on Friday nights and substitute the broccoli and pay extra for the slaw.  Funny thing-----I don't eat their burgers.  

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@wismiss 

Discovered Culver's when we were in FL this winter: love their cod sandwiches!   Wish we had them at home.

If you like perch, their perch sandwiches are good too.

Honored Contributor

The other day my spouse was a mood for good ice cream.  Figured we'd take a ride to Culver's which has the best!

Well there must have been 30+ cars in line.  No ice cream that nite -- told him tomorrow I'll go over mid afternoon and pick up a few flavors.

We like the hamburgers and most food they serve.  The people who work there are always pleasant and like they walk around with samples of "ice cream of the day".

Honored Contributor

We don't have Culver's here. We have done takeout only twice since this whole thing started, from a BBQ place we like and we know the family who owns it. Now is not the time I would ever trust fast-food.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Drive up spots are busy in my area -- especially Freddy's.  Plus, add lots of door dash / grub hub / others delivering meals to homes. Daughter is home and delivering for door dash. She gets minimum pay while on work leave and is making some $$ for 2 - 3 hours a day. Retired friend has done Grub Hub for a while. She's pays for all her vacations and travels this way. Big increase of food deliveries during this season. Biggest tippers, according to daughter, are Wild Wings and BBQ folks.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We have tried Culvers and their food is terrific for a drive-thru type restaurant.  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss Honey, the Health Department is right thre on top of them or they wouldn't even be open!