Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

I was very young and worked briefly at the end of the Carter Administration before joining a Federal agency.  In all honesty, I don't think I paid much attention to fashion back then.  I only knew I had to dress to the hilt every day no matter where I worked and that was really burdensome with my long commute.

That era was austere compared to today!  Things changed with the next Administration, but I had already moved on to a more secure job.  Working at the WH was fun, but not very stable unless you were a "top dog" -- and I wasn'tWoman LOL

Several friends of mine attended one of the Carter inaugural balls and complained it was so cold and crowded AND they spent all night on their feet.

Unless you are part of the inner circle, most formal events become "working events" which = no fun!

Honored Contributor

Utterly fascinating, Witchy Woman, thanks!

Honored Contributor
How does one find out FL designer?
Honored Contributor

I think Pres Carter was known for not running up  the heating bills. Remember the fireside chat he gave, wearing a sweater ,in front of a roaring fire? Some wags began calling him Jimmy Cardigan, after that night

Honored Contributor

I saw the FL exiting the plane and I must say she looked very beautiful as always.I heard they had a hard time finding a designer that would make her wardrobe.I think that is surprising as she makes all clothing look beautiful and I am sure people will be looking for similar styles from these designers.

Honored Contributor

Sweet Serenity, I've heard Lagerfeld, Ralph Lauren or Chanel being floated by those in the know, but ?   It'll be fun to see.

Trusted Contributor

I worked in DC for a number of years also.  I had taken a job there after working in Chicago and the style was much more conservative and business like.  Might have changed by now because even when I was working in Chicago, style there was a bit more dressy than it is now.  I am kind of surprised when I am in downtown Chicago now and you see people dressed very casually.  Guess some professions still require a bit more "work" style dressing (lawyers appearing in court, etc) but seems to be a lot more casual now.  

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Sweet Serenity, I've heard Lagerfeld, Ralph Lauren or Chanel being floated by those in the know, but ?   It'll be fun to see.

I was just watching a talk show where this was being designed.  Everyone thought it would be RL.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I saw the FL exiting the plane and I must say she looked very beautiful as always.I heard they had a hard time finding a designer that would make her wardrobe.I think that is surprising as she makes all clothing look beautiful and I am sure people will be looking for similar styles from these designers.

There was one famous designer who said he would not dress her but was never asked to anyway.  Here is an article you might find useful:

Who Will Dress Melania Trump For The Inauguration? | Lookbook

www.bravotv.com/.../which-designer-will-dress-melania-trump-for-the-inauguration

22 hours ago - According to WWD, the former model will sport looks from Ralph Lauren and Karl Lagerfeld. (Melania will need two looks that day: one for the swearing-in, and one for the evening balls.) Though Ralph Lauren has dressed Hillary Clinton multiple times, Melania also wore plenty of his designs on the campaign trail.
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom Thanks for the article...She definately will be dressed by the best throughout the event.I can't wait to see what she will be wearing.