Honored Contributor

Mamie Eisenhour was the style-maker of her time.  This was covered in the C-Span series on First Ladies a couple of years ago.  Her hair style was all the rage.

=========================

The pale, bubblegum shade of pink that tinted the whole of the 1950’s owes much of its ubiquity to the First Lady. Mamie was so fond of the shade that it was named after her–Mamie pink. The hue was seen in midcentury bathrooms, kitchens, and most memorably, on her famous Nettie Rosenstein inauguration dress that now lives in the Smithsonian.

The General’s wife was about more than just pink, though.

Her short bangs and buns hairdo was also widely copied. And though her hairstyle was outdated by the time she moved into the White House in 1953, she refused to change it as it held sentimental value. Despite this, her ever-coordinated accessories, clothes and hats helped her land on many best-dressed lists. Though she was always elegantly attired, her style included both high-and low-end items, reflecting her penny-pinching savvy.

She was the essence of femininity and the ideal of American womanhood in the 1950s, determined to project a youthful and stylish image despite being a grandmother in her fifties. American women loved her because they identified with her. Mamie was “one of them”–the woman next door. Her famous bangs, styled by Elizabeth Arden in Paris, completed what became the “Mamie Look,” a modified version of the revolutionary, postwar “New Look.” Mamie Eisenhower had a natural sense of style that she personalized with her well loved accessories: a pearl choker and button earrings, a charm bracelet, glittery pins, little fitted hats, and a mink stole or full-length fur coat. Throughout her life, Mamie cultivated a fascination with clothes and fashion, and appeared, consistently, on the “Best Dressed” lists during her White House years. One way to nearly guarantee Mamie Eisenhower’s attendance at any event was to hold a fashion show. (The Eisenhower Foundation)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Maybe @Paulette-QVC can move it to Fashion then.

I don't pay attention to what section a thread is in.  Personally, I think we have may too many subforums.  

Inauguratuon threads for the Obamas were poofed in the Fashion board as well.

Didnt matter where they were.

All went poof lol.

Good to know. This is the first one I've participated in and am hoping I don't regret it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

I'm always interested in fashion regardless of the political party. While I like the color of Ivanka's coat/dress, I'm not that fond of the coat. It's the belt and front lapels-the color itself looks very good on her because of her coloring. 

I haven't found pictures of what anyone else was wearing today, not clear ones anyway. 

I'm sure the future First Lady will look good in anything she wears-although I did not care for a couple of outfits she wore during the campaign. She carries herself well-being a former model sure helps-

Hi, @kdgn.   I'm not a fan of the coat, either, because of the bulk.   But I've seen that oversized style recently so maybe it's in vogue.   I do like green...  one of my favorite colors to wear.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

....now here is a fashion topic we all overlooked: HATS!  I just googled-and this is something we don't wear so much these days....and sometimes I wish we did.

Maybe I am wrong, but anybody remember a FL walking down Pa. Have without one? Sadly, that art-the art of the millener has been lost.

We are discussing fashion-and we don't need to have a wonderful thread hijacked!

Hairstyles are another thing we have not discussed, and it's amazing to study what some FLs had to deal with in their time....

....haircuts are another topic....

....makeup? That is anybody's guess.....maybe that can be found at the Max Factor museum?

Ahhh...purses....I did read that Jamie's inaugural gown had over 2000 crystals, but her purse was designed by no other than Judith Leiber!!!!

Yep, we can still have fun and simply report.

I love the Q forums because they are moderated-there are all kinds of other outlets to go to to express your thoughts.  We can disagree, but there is a level of decorum.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

ThaT was Mamie's inaugural gown, and yes, I proof read!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political.

Respected Contributor

I just saw a couple of photos and it appears two of the daughters-in-law are wearing slacks. That surprises me-it's not what would be considered "tradition" and I was expecting dresses/coats. 

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  I would love to see some beautiful updos and break-the-bank jewelry ( that is owned by the wearers).