Honored Contributor

Fashion icon, socialite Gloria Vanderbilt has died at age 95

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: Fashion icon, socialite Gloria Vanderbilt has died at age 95

@SeaMaiden @I just watched the tribute from her son.It was beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Anderson said that when she found out about the cancer she said "It's like that old song says Show me the way to get out of this world because that's where everything is" 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

Beautiful statement!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last of her kind!  She, certainly, lived an interesting life and to it's fullest.  I was happy to read that she had reconciled with her son, Christopher Stokowski.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like for her to go through a custody battle at such a young age.  Four very interesting husbands.  Four lovely boys.  She was touched by tragedy with the death of her son, the death of her husband and a lawsuit after being swindled out of millions.

She, Oona Chaplin, Carol Matthau were friends since they were teenagers, she will now join them once again.

My heart goes out to Anderson Cooper and his two bothers.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

She was a legend.

It seems that Anderson and his mother were very close. 

Respected Contributor

So sad to hear of her passing!  She will be remembered as a devoted mother, wife, artist and style icon!  Rest in Peace, Gloria!

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear this.  Her life was fascinating, extraordinary, and she was more than a survivor-- she thrived.  Despite the horrible, notorious, emotionally wrenching court struggles for her custody as a child in the Thirties.

I enjoy the quirky art collages she did years ago, of Elizabethan figures and others.  Her artistic sense was truly her own.

She hung out (platonically) with Bobby Short, which makes me jealous! Her marriage to Wyatt Cooper is the one that fascinates me.

On a frivolous note, her early perfume "Vanderbilt" is one that I frequently get the most compliments on, more so than more pedigreed French scents...

She just had such a light, lovely gift, and was quite influential in her own way.  A fawn-like creature.   RIP.

Respected Contributor

Beautiful lady - you will be missed !  You have been a staple in my life and I will cherish your memory. What a legacy you leave us. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I too found her fascinating and so softly spoken...I just watched for the second time Anderson’s documentary on his mom from 2016...so interesting and heartbreaking.  I just now watched his fairwell to his mom on CNN...If you can get through that without crying you are one tough cookie....I remember her jeans so well, I was around 13 when I got my first pair of ‘designer jeans’...Calvin Klein, Jordache, and Gloria Vanderbilt were the top sellers back then...imo, her’s were the best...rip special lady.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it